[comp.mail.elm] Local and remote signatures - a solution

mrp@sirius.ua.oz (Mark Prior) (05/30/89)

I think most of the problems with signatures would be solved if it was
possible to configure what addresses the user considered were local.
Suppose there existed a file (eg. .elm/local_addresses) that contained
address templates that indicated to elm which addresses were to be assumed
as local, these templates could be either addresses with wildcards or
aliases from the user's (or system's) alias files. For example I would
consider all mail to people at the Uni to be local and maybe some mail to
other people outside as local (ie I want to use a local signature) so I
would have a file like -

*@*ua.oz.au
person-alias
group-alias

Elm would then pattern match on these templates to determine whether the
addresses were `local' or not and then append the appropriate signature
file to my mail message.

Mark.
--
Mark Prior                              Phone : +61 8 228 5680
University Computing Services           Telex : UNIVAD AA89141

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (06/04/89)

In article <398@sirius.ua.oz>, mrp@sirius.ua.oz (Mark Prior) writes:
> For example I would
> consider all mail to people at the Uni to be local and maybe some mail to
> other people outside as local (ie I want to use a local signature) so I
> would have a file like -
>
> *@*ua.oz.au
> person-alias
> group-alias
>
> Elm would then pattern match on these templates to determine whether the
> addresses were `local' or not and then append the appropriate signature
> file to my mail message.

This would be a workable solution for "configuration file literate" users,
but most of my users still don't understand that .elm/elmrc and .newsrc
exist and/or what they are used for, much less a .elm/local-users file.

So far, IMHO, I like the idea of having the "signature" file selectable
from the headers menu.  Or perhaps, the command to send, edit, etc the message
could include the option - c)hoose signature  (I didn't pick a command clash,
did I?).  If the message is s)ent whithout using c), the default behavior
would occur.  If c) is selected, the user would have the option of
choosing between

auto  - signature appended according to the "usual" rules (whatever they
        end up being)
local - append file specified by the .localsignature elmrc variable, regardless
        of the rules
remote - append file specified by the .remotesignature elmrc variable, ditto
file - elm will prompt for arbitrary file name to append
editor - elm will put you back in the appropriate editor to enter the
         text for the signature, and not append anything else
none - elm doesn't add anything to the message

I include the "auto" selection in the menu, so that if a user changes the
"auto" behavior, they can put it back if they want to.

This method would maintain the fixes from patch8 in this manner:

1) when the user doesn't care, the "auto" mode will take care of appending
   the "appropriate" signature at the time the s)end command is issued, thus
   the to and cc headers can be examined.

2) when actually appending a file, the file will still be appended at the
   time s)end is issued, so that users using the built-in editor can use
   signatures.

There is also some added functionality, in that the user now has the option
to keep several different signature files, and append the one they want on
a message by message basis.  The folder concept could even be extended, so that
there would be a "Sig" directory with signature files, and "=file" would
specify a file in this directory, when using the "file" option listed above.

Getting back to my original "configuration file literate" users concern, I
think this method would be easier for novice Elm users to understand and
make good use of, while still allowing advanced Elm users to have the
flexibilty and functionality they desire.

--jim
-------------
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request@tiamat.fsc.com" ***

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (06/04/89)

In article <581@tiamat.fsc.com> jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) writes:
	[deleted]
>So far, IMHO, I like the idea of having the "signature" file selectable
>from the headers menu.  Or perhaps, the command to send, edit, etc the message
>could include the option - c)hoose signature  (I didn't pick a command clash,
>did I?).  If the message is s)ent whithout using c), the default behavior
>would occur.  If c) is selected, the user would have the option of
>choosing between
>
>auto  - signature appended according to the "usual" rules (whatever they
>        end up being)
>local - append file specified by the .localsignature elmrc variable, regardless
>        of the rules
>remote - append file specified by the .remotesignature elmrc variable, ditto
>file - elm will prompt for arbitrary file name to append
>editor - elm will put you back in the appropriate editor to enter the
>         text for the signature, and not append anything else
>none - elm doesn't add anything to the message
>
>I include the "auto" selection in the menu, so that if a user changes the
>"auto" behavior, they can put it back if they want to.

OK.  I have been sitting back and watching, but now I think I will
comment on this signature problem.

Of all the suggestions that have come up, this is one of the better
ones.  However, it doesn't take into account the problem of a mailing
list.  If you have a mailing list of both local and remote addresses
then either some of them will receive the wrong signature, or the user
will be prompted for each address on the mailing list.  If you make the
stipulation that the selection is applied to EVERY address on the list,
then this method should satisfy most people.  For those diehards who
like the older method of including the signature in the edited file, it
might be conceivable to add a configuration question that asks for the
old behaviour or the new.  It could concievably might be able to make
this an elmrc option.

(personal opinions follow, flames to /dev/null, comments welcome)
(hit 'n' to bypass)

The problem of continuing development on a production program will be
with elm forever.  There will always be those who will be unwilling, or
unable to adapt to and to use the new method.  The development group can
and should attempt to preserve the current interface, either through
compile-time options or through run-time options.  However, when it
becomes necessary to change the functionality of the program in some
way, and it is either impossible or unreasonably difficult to maintain
the old method, then they should change it, BUT THEY SHOULD LET
EVERYBODY KNOW THAT IT IS BEING CHANGED.  This would give the users the
opportunity to freeze their system at the current patchlevel, and ignore
all future changes.  Many people have said that they are holding at PL7,
while waiting for this controversy to be resolved.  That is the proper
way to go.  I have seen too many flames at the development group for
this problem.  The flames are unwarrented, since the users always have
the option of returning to the PL7 version.  Comments and CONSTRUCTIVE
critisisms are always welcome.  Remember:  the elm development group is
being done by volunteers.  Nobody is being paid to do this.

(end of commentary)

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

scs@vax3.iti.org (Steve Simmons) (06/05/89)

In article <581@tiamat.fsc.com> jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) writes:
:In article <398@sirius.ua.oz>, mrp@sirius.ua.oz (Mark Prior) writes:
:> consider all mail to people at the Uni to be local and maybe some mail to
:> other people outside as local (ie I want to use a local signature) so I
:> would have a file like -
:>
:> *@*ua.oz.au
:> person-alias
:> group-alias
:>
:> Elm would then pattern match on these templates
:
:This would be a workable solution for "configuration file literate" users,
:but most of my users still don't understand that .elm/elmrc and .newsrc
:exist and/or what they are used for, much less a .elm/local-users file.

True, but you as site admin can make it unnecesary for them.  Suppose
we have the following rules for pattern matching: first look in the users
.elm/local-users file.  If a definitive match is not found, look in
/usr/local/lib/elm (or wherever you install the elm helpfiles and such)
for a local-users file.  Reasonable?

On the same topic, the use of 'person-alias' and 'group-alias' above
seems backwards (IMHO).  Better to expand the aliases, then do the check.

Steve Simmons         Just another midwestern boy
scs@vax3.iti.org  -- or -- ...!sharkey!itivax!scs
"Think of c++ as an object-oriented assembler..."

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (06/05/89)

In article <621@ispi.UUCP>, jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:

> Of all the suggestions that have come up, this is one of the better
> ones.

I needed an ego boost.  Thanks :-)

> However, it doesn't take into account the problem of a mailing
> list.  If you have a mailing list of both local and remote addresses
> then either some of them will receive the wrong signature, or the user
> will be prompted for each address on the mailing list.  If you make the

I don't really see this as being a major issue.  In general, I'd say most
people don't know everyone that is on a mailing list (except for maybe
the administrator), and wouldn't know how to separate things.

If you're refering to a distribution list (i.e. more than one recipient
specified in the To: or Cc: headers), then I also don't think it's that
big of a deal.  Use the one which works out best.  So what if some remote
users occasionally get a local signature, or vice versa.  Besides, if there
was to be a different signature for different addresses in a distribution list,
you would in essence, have different messages, and would (possibly) be
defeating the purpose of using multiple recipients in the first place.

> then this method should satisfy most people.  For those diehards who
> like the older method of including the signature in the edited file, it
> might be conceivable to add a configuration question that asks for the
> old behaviour or the new.  It could concievably might be able to make
> this an elmrc option.

This was the only thing I left out of my proposal.  If it's not too
difficult it would be nice to see something like

SIGNATUREMENU = ON (or OFF)

to toggle the use of the after editting signature append (MENU = ON) or to
put the signature in the temp file before editting (MENU = OFF).
-------------

In article <1430@itivax.iti.org>, scs@vax3.iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
> In article <581@tiamat.fsc.com> jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) writes:
> :This would be a workable solution for "configuration file literate" users,
> :but most of my users still don't understand that .elm/elmrc and .newsrc
> :exist and/or what they are used for, much less a .elm/local-users file.
>
> True, but you as site admin can make it unnecesary for them.  Suppose
> we have the following rules for pattern matching: first look in the users
> .elm/local-users file.  If a definitive match is not found, look in
> /usr/local/lib/elm (or wherever you install the elm helpfiles and such)
> for a local-users file.  Reasonable?

If users become dependent on the system-wide file though, then everytime
a user starts corresponding with someone from a new site or domain that he
or she would like to be considered 'local', the user will call me and ask
why it isn't working right, and if I would fix it so it will.  Thus, the
burden will end up on me. (Remember, they don't care about their own
local-users file, so it won't do any good to tell them to edit that.)

The menu option would be something they would easily see and be able to
deal with.
-------------

In article <589@tiamat.fsc.com> jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) writes:
>In article <1430@itivax.iti.org>, scs@vax3.iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
>> Suppose we have the following rules for pattern matching: first look in
>> the users .elm/local-users file.  If a definitive match is not found,
>> look in /usr/local/lib/elm (or wherever you install the elm helpfiles
>> and such) for a local-users file.  Reasonable?
>
>If users become dependent on the system-wide file though, then everytime
>a user starts corresponding with someone from a new site or domain that he
>or she would like to be considered 'local', the user will call me and ask
>why it isn't working right, and if I would fix it so it will.  Thus, the
>burden will end up on me. (Remember, they don't care about their own
>local-users file, so it won't do any good to tell them to edit that.)

No disrepect inteneded, but you are doing yourself and your users a
disservice if you do as you describe.  First, adding the particular
site to the 'local' list may help that particular user, but will give
`wrong' performance for other users sending to that system.  Second,
you must make it clear to the user requesting the change that he is
requesting a *personal* modification which will affect *all* users, and
you will not do that without the agreement of all users.  Third, you
must let the user know that *he* can customize his performance.  Once
you have done all these you have put the onus of making the personal
customization on the user.  Yes, he may refuse to do so.  If he's like
my users he'll give you grief.  But that's a political/social issue with
your users, and should not affect what technical decisions are made about
elm.

Steve Simmons            Just another midwestern boy
scs@vax3.iti.org   -- or --   ...!sharkey!itivax!scs
"Who the hell is Gloria Mundi, and why is she sick?"

pmm@mips.COM (Paul M. Moriarty) (06/05/89)

In article <1430@itivax.iti.org> scs@vax3.iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
>In article <581@tiamat.fsc.com> jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) writes:
>:>
>:> Elm would then pattern match on these templates
>:
>:This would be a workable solution for "configuration file literate" users,
>:but most of my users still don't understand that .elm/elmrc and .newsrc
>:exist and/or what they are used for, much less a .elm/local-users file.
>
>True, but you as site admin can make it unnecesary for them.  Suppose
>we have the following rules for pattern matching: first look in the users
>.elm/local-users file.  If a definitive match is not found, look in
>/usr/local/lib/elm (or wherever you install the elm helpfiles and such)
>for a local-users file.  Reasonable?

This seems by far the most logical approach. I feel that most users
(ie. >99%) have little need for more than two signatures and this approach
seems to address the problem in a very straight-forward manner.

What I like best about this approach is that my less sophisticated users
are unaffected by it and my more sophisticated ones get something else
to muck about with. :-)

I'd like to see us reach some consensus on this issue soon as I feel we
really have other problems and issues that need addressing as well and
all this talk about signatures is drowning them in the noise.
--
Paul M. Moriarty        pmm@mips.com          {ames,decwrl}!mips!pmm
MIPS Computers Systems

karl@mstar.MorningStar.COM (Karl Fox) (06/07/89)

A simple and flexible scheme for dealing with signatures would be to
have a line in the options screen for defining a command to execute to
generate a signature (give it the message on stdin).  It could be empty
for no signature, "cat $HOME/.signature" for a fixed signature, or a
special-purpose (shell?) program that could decide what to print based
on the To: field.

It might even be desirable for such a program to see destination
addresses before aliases are expanded -- a mailing list might always
need a certain signature that isn't appropriate for every day mail.
This would also allow inserting the output in the (external) editor
buffer, a feature that I really like.

Besides, this way I could still use Elm and yet have `yow` output in my
.signature!
--
Karl Fox, Morning Star Technologies               karl@MorningStar.COM

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (06/08/89)

>>True, but you as site admin can make it unnecesary for them.  Suppose
>>we have the following rules for pattern matching: first look in the users
>>.elm/local-users file.  If a definitive match is not found, look in
>>/usr/local/lib/elm (or wherever you install the elm helpfiles and such)
>>for a local-users file.  Reasonable?

Why not look in both files?  The users personal file can take precedence
if there is any conflict, and the system file would still be available
when the user has just a few additions.

If elm were really smart it would place the appropriate signature file
in the edited file, and replace it with the newly appropriate signature
file (modifying the edited file) when leaving the headers menu.  It
would be necessary to check for an exact match of the previous signature
file against the last several lines of the file.

It is probably good enough to just use the correct signature at the time
of initial composition, since the user then has complete control over
the message in his edit buffer.

I still think an elmrc option whether to include the signature file in
the edited message is best.
--
Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics