[comp.mail.elm] Elm 2.2 PL8 Configure problem?

bill@iccdev.UUCP (Bill Gaines) (06/07/89)

Is anyone having trouble making ELM after they install Patch #8?  If
I don't run the Configure script, I don't have a problem.  If I run the
Configure script, I get an undefined symbol "SV_INTERRUPT" in init.c.

I noticed this when I moved elm to another machine and tried to build
it.  When I got the error, I ran Configure on my machine and I got
the same compiler error.
--
Bill Gaines
Industrial Computer Corporation

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (06/08/89)

bill@iccdev.UUCP (Bill Gaines) writes:

>Is anyone having trouble making ELM after they install Patch #8?  If
>I don't run the Configure script, I don't have a problem.  If I run the
>Configure script, I get an undefined symbol "SV_INTERRUPT" in init.c.

>I noticed this when I moved elm to another machine and tried to build
>it.  When I got the error, I ran Configure on my machine and I got
>the same compiler error.
>--
>Bill Gaines
>Industrial Computer Corporation
>(...!gatech!iccdev!bill)

I get the same problem on UNIX V (R2). Problem is, that a symbol SIGVEC is
defined because Configure finds the routine 'sigvec' in /lib/libc.a. Depen-
ding on this (#IFDEF'ed) the signal handling in init.c is compiled. If
SIGVEC is defined, a structure alarm_vec is defined as sigvec and then
somewhere in the code (line 221, I think it was) alarm_vec.sv_flags is set
to SV_INTERRUPT, probably assuming that this is defined in
/usr/include/sys/signal.h. The said symbol (SIGVEC) was introduced with
Patch8. You can work around this easily by running Configure and then
changing '#define SIGVEC' in the resultant config.h to '#undef SIGVEC'.

(BTW, I got two errors in line 221 because there's no sv_flags in structure
sigvec on our system. Instead, it's called sv_mask. By undef'ing SIGVEC,
all problems disappear)

Maybe someone out there knows a better fix.

Martin
--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad

jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (06/08/89)

From article <491@iccdev.UUCP>, by bill@iccdev.UUCP (Bill Gaines):
> Is anyone having trouble making ELM after they install Patch #8?  If
> I don't run the Configure script, I don't have a problem.  If I run the
> Configure script, I get an undefined symbol "SV_INTERRUPT" in init.c.

Yep.  I get it too.  I'm on Ultrix 1.2A (BSD4.2) and its the reason
I can't go to patch 8.
--
  ______    JANET :jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs     Jonathan Knight,
    /       BITNET:jonathan%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl Department of Computer Science

dwb@sppy00.UUCP (David Burhans) (06/10/89)

In article <491@iccdev.UUCP> bill@iccdev.UUCP (Bill Gaines) writes:
>Is anyone having trouble making ELM after they install Patch #8?  If
>I don't run the Configure script, I don't have a problem.  If I run the
>Configure script, I get an undefined symbol "SV_INTERRUPT" in init.c.

  I got this problem with my Sun2s (no comments please :^]) and Sun3s.
  If the sigvec(2) call exists, elm assumes that `SV_INTERRUPT' will be
  defined (see below).

  src/init.c:
     #ifdef SIGVEC
	alarm_vec.sv_handler = alarm_signal;
	alarm_vec.sv_flags = SV_INTERRUPT;
	sigvec (SIGALRM, &alarm_vec, (struct sigvec *)0);
		/* Process Timer Alarm      */
     #else
	signal(SIGALRM, alarm_signal);          /* Process Timer Alarm      */
     #endif

  My solution (sufficient if not elegant) was to comment out the define for
  SIGVEC in config.h.

  -DwB
|dwb@sppy00	...osu-cis!sppy00!dwb			|
|David Burhans/6565 Frantz Rd./Columbus, Oh 43017	|

greg@moxie.UUCP (Greg Hackney) (06/10/89)

In article <402@sppy00.UUCP> dwb@sppy00.UUCP (David Burhans) writes:
>  I got this problem with my Sun2s (no comments please :^]) and Sun3s.
>  If the sigvec(2) call exists, elm assumes that `SV_INTERRUPT' will be
>  defined

Ditto on a Pyramid.
--
Greg