[comp.mail.elm] help, why always empty mails go out

ljy@pbinfo.UUCP (Liu Jiyang) (07/11/89)

recently the e-mails i sent out using elm arrived at the receiver with
nothing more than the header of the mail. can some one explain and
give me hints to fix?

thanks a lot.

ljy%pbinfo@unido

jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles) (07/12/89)

In article <937@pbinfo.UUCP> ljy@pbinfo.UUCP (Liu Jiyang) writes:
>recently the e-mails i sent out using elm arrived at the receiver with
>nothing more than the header of the mail. can some one explain and
>give me hints to fix?
>
>thanks a lot.
>
>ljy%pbinfo@unido

Well, a couple of things to look for/check:

Do you save a copy of all outbound mail?  If so, does it look ok?

Is sendmail your MTA?  If so, check the sendmail log files for the size of the
message that it thinks that it's sending.  I've seen sendmail truncate many a
message.

Does this happen to every host that you send mail to, or just a select few?  If
so, can you narrow it down to a host between here and there that's causing the
problem?

Do you have plenty of free disk space on your system?

Did you change anything just before this happened?  Maybe installed a new patch
into elm?  Reconfigured your sendmail.cf/mailxrc/etc...  file?

Does this with any MUA on your system?  Does this just happen with Elm?

These are just a few things that you can try.  If you don't have any success,
try to send me email and I'll help if I can.

	-Jeff
--
Jeff Beadles		Utek Sustaining Engineering, Tektronix Inc.
jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM	Member of the Elm development group