[comp.mail.elm] elm 2.2 PL9 lost messages

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (07/12/89)

While I was dialing into our Sun from home, a member of my family picked
up the telephone line.  Some spurious characters were generated, which
may have included things like ^C or ^Z, etc.  Anyway, it happened while
I was exiting elm and doing the unnecessary save of messages.  Many of
my recent incoming messages were lost as a result.

I know this is mostly my fault, but it seems like there are a number of
things that could be done to improve the situation.  For instance, I
liked the 2.1 PL1 behavior where it did not re-save your mailbox every
time you read new mail.  Second, it could trap ^C and do some kind of
error recovery that would not result in lost data.

It seems that due to this problem, and due to full partitions while
saving, I have lost many messages from elm.  I would like to encourage
improvements in this area, and discussion from others who have had
similar problems.  -David-
--
Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (07/13/89)

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
>It seems that due to this problem, and due to full partitions while
>saving, I have lost many messages from elm.  I would like to encourage
>improvements in this area, and discussion from others who have had
>similar problems.  -David-
I think its time to set the record straight:
Elm does not rewrite the file if there is no change.... There is a
change, the status of the messages has changed.  If you don't change
a status, then it doesn't rewrite the mailbox.  If we desire to keep
status information, there is no way around this one.

As to the full partition problem, we have acknowledged that Elm
does not check the return status of writes.  It needs to do so, and
it is on the to.do list.  When it gets done is a matter of volunteers.
Anyone care to do it?
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235