[comp.mail.elm] ELM PL10 dumps core on input overflow

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (07/14/89)

Hello,
   This bug may already be known by the author, but on our system which
is running ELM Patchlevel 10, on Unix 5.2, ELM will dump core if any
string input buffer is overflowed.  Just pick a string entry area in ELM
(such as goto message #) and keep typing numbers.  After a few lines it
says "Too Long.", gives a memory error and dumps core.  Just thought it
was worth reporting in case no one had seen it before...

   Other than that, ELM is working very well and everyone at our site
is extremely pleased with it.  Congrats!

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

pmm@mips.COM (Paul M. Moriarty) (07/14/89)

In article <735@coplex.UUCP> dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) writes:
>Hello,
>   This bug may already be known by the author, but on our system which
>is running ELM Patchlevel 10, on Unix 5.2, ELM will dump core if any
>string input buffer is overflowed.  Just pick a string entry area in ELM
>(such as goto message #) and keep typing numbers.  After a few lines it
>says "Too Long.", gives a memory error and dumps core.  Just thought it
>was worth reporting in case no one had seen it before...

I can duplicate this on a MIPS M/1000 RUNNING RISC/os 4.00 with Elm
compiled in BSD land. Granted it took > 150 numbers to get it to die
with a segmentation violation. At least it left the temp file intact.

--
Paul M. Moriarty        pmm@mips.com          {ames,decwrl}!mips!pmm
OSLab SysAdmin