[comp.mail.elm] Signature functionality change

don@grc.UUCP (Donald D. Woelz) (05/26/89)

First, I want to join the ranks of those who have praised the ELM
development effort.  We use ELM corporate wide as our main mail
user agent and are very pleased with it.

I have just applied patches 1 thru 8 and recompiled ELM.  I noticed
a change in the operation of ELM almost immediately.  I no longer
see my .signature lines in the message I am editing.  They appear
to now be appended when I actually send the message.

I consider this to be a major return to the dark ages.  I sometimes
edit my signature for various reasons.  I can no longer do that
on a mesage by message basis.  Is there some new configuration
parameter or elmrc parameter that will get this to behave in the
same way that it has in the past?  Why was this changed in the first
place?
--
Don Woelz              {ames, rutgers, harvard}!uwvax!uwmcsd4!grc!don
GENROCO, Inc.                              Phone: 414-644-8700

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (05/26/89)

In article <204@grc.UUCP> don@grc.UUCP (Donald D. Woelz) writes:

About .signature file change.

>I consider this to be a major return to the dark ages.  I sometimes
>edit my signature for various reasons.  I can no longer do that
>on a mesage by message basis.

Sure you can.  Just go into the editor and read in your signature
manually if you want to change it.  The change was necessary for three
reasons 1) a local vs remote signature would often cause the side
effect of making elm use a different editor.  It's hard to explain to
a user why elm acts very differently just because mail is sent offsite
and 2) you *can't* determine what signature to use until the message
is complete and 3) other programs (rn, etc) work that way.

You were depending on a side effect of a bug in elm.

  Is there some new configuration
>parameter or elmrc parameter that will get this to behave in the
>same way that it has in the past?

Perhaps you could figure out a solution to #2 above and then add one.

--
  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Ann Arbor, MI			sharkey!b-tech!zeeff

harlan@hardy.NBI.COM (Harlan Olson) (05/26/89)

In article <204@grc.UUCP>, don@grc.UUCP (Donald D. Woelz) writes:
> a change in the operation of ELM almost immediately.  I no longer
> see my .signature lines in the message I am editing.  They appear
> to now be appended when I actually send the message.
>
> I consider this to be a major return to the dark ages.  I sometimes
> edit my signature for various reasons.  I can no longer do that
> on a mesage by message basis.  Is there some new configuration
> parameter or elmrc parameter that will get this to behave in the
> same way that it has in the past?  Why was this changed in the first
> place?

I too am pleased with ELM2.2 the efforts of the development group.  I share
Don's concerns mentioned above.

--
Customer Support Training        |       2995 Wilderness Pl.
303/443-9892 x2208               |       Boulder, CO  80301

phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J. Philip Miller) (05/27/89)

In article <9388@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>In article <204@grc.UUCP> don@grc.UUCP (Donald D. Woelz) writes:
>
>........ 2) you *can't* determine what signature to use until the message
>is complete
.
.
.
>Perhaps you could figure out a solution to #2 above and then add one.

How about treating the file to be included as the signature to be like a
header field, i.e. the file name could be displayed/changed on the header
menu.  If you did not like elm's choice you could change it (this would allow
you to have special purpose signatures based on other criteria than
remote/local).  If you did not want to use one of the "standard" signitures,
then you could change it for the outgoing note so that there would be no
automatically included signature, but you could return to the editing of the
outgoing note and explcitly include the necessary signature file (with
whatever changes you deem appropriate :-)

-phil
--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
J. Philip Miller - Div of Biostat - Washington Univ Medical School

jgd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick,EMS E380,4142295727,) (05/27/89)

In article <204@grc.UUCP>, don@grc.UUCP (Donald D. Woelz) says:

> I have just applied patches 1 thru 8 and recompiled ELM.  I noticed
> a change in the operation of ELM almost immediately.  I no longer
> see my .signature lines in the message I am editing.  They appear
> to now be appended when I actually send the message.
>
> I consider this to be a major return to the dark ages.  I sometimes
> edit my signature for various reasons.  I can no longer do that
> on a mesage by message basis.  Is there some new configuration
> parameter or elmrc parameter that will get this to behave in the
> same way that it has in the past?  Why was this changed in the first
> place?

I was just about to post a "low grade simmer" (or a mini-flame), but Don
phrased it much more succinctly than I was about to.  (Which is why I
included most of his message up there -- and it was fairly short to boot.)

I also think this change in Elm behavior is a serious mistake.  I too have
valid reasons to edit my .signature file on a message by message basis, and
thus have to cope with more than the two allowable signature file formats
(by Elm's way of thinking, at least -- local and/or remote).   Life (and
e-mail) is more complex than that.

Please reconsider this situation, or at the very least add a (yet another)
configuration tag to the emlrc file to restore Elm's previous behavior.

Thank you.
--
John G Dobnick, local Elm guinea pig and promoter of Elm.
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire

leif@lkbpyr.UUCP (leif ljung) (05/29/89)

Why not include the selected signature in the Message Header Edit Screen.
Hopefully by that time you have decided who to send your mail to and thereby
selected the appropriate signature file...and you may even edit the signature
here. If you don't want to bother about the signature there is no need
to do anything and Elm will select the right one for you.
You don't have the Header lines in your mail and seem to get along without
those.
Of course one should also control this with .elmrc and as a com-line option
and... :-)

--leif
------
leif@phlux.lkb.se
uunet!mcvax!sunic!lkbpyr!leif

ccdn@levels.sait.edu.au (DAVID NEWALL) (05/30/89)

In article <9388@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us>, zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
> In article <204@grc.UUCP> don@grc.UUCP (Donald D. Woelz) writes:
>
> About .signature file change.
>
>>I consider this to be a major return to the dark ages.  I sometimes
>>edit my signature for various reasons.  I can no longer do that
>>on a mesage by message basis.
>
> Sure you can.  Just go into the editor and read in your signature
> manually if you want to change it.

Oh Please!  That's hardly a reasonable solution, is it?

> The change was necessary for three reasons ... and 2) you *can't*
> determine what signature to use until the message is complete

Sometimes it's very easy to loose track of one's objectives.  I think
this is an example of where the development group (who by and large
have done, and are still doing, a fine job) have let the ends run
away with them.

Certainly it's nice to have different local and remote signatures.  But
I don't consider it a crime if elm occasionally chooses the wrong one.
Especially since elm does, or at least it used to, include the signature
in the edit buffer.  At least I knew what I was getting.  And I could
change it if it was wrong.  Now I have to hope that elm is going to get
it right.  And to be honest, I don't have that much faith in a computer.
I'd like to be sure of what I'm getting.

From the large volume of postings on this subject, I'd say that a lot
of elm users prefer the signature to be loaded into the edit buffer.  I
count myself among them.  So, please, elm developers, give us back our
signatures.  (Remember: user convenience is more important than strict
program correctness).

David Newall                     Phone:  +61 8 343 3160
Unix Systems Programmer          Fax:    +61 8 349 6939
Academic Computing Service       E-mail: ccdn@levels.sait.oz.au
SA Institute of Technology       Post:   The Levels, South Australia, 5095

indra@hobbes.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (06/02/89)

In article <204@grc.UUCP> don@grc.UUCP (Donald D. Woelz) writes:
>I no longer
>see my .signature lines in the message I am editing.  They appear
>to now be appended when I actually send the message.
>I consider this to be a major return to the dark ages.  I sometimes
>edit my signature for various reasons.  I can no longer do that
>on a mesage by message basis.

I have exactly the same sentiments. Further, the signature does not
appear in the copy of the message saved, while this is good to save
space, however, I can never tell which signature was sent with which
message. (Oh Sure, I should figure it out from the To: and CC: lines in
the saved message...)

Whatever, an option to edit the signature MUST be provided. If it is
attempted to provide a solution to all signature requirements... you'll
never make it.  I had a map in my .exrc for vi that replaced my remote
signature with my local signature at PL7 for messages going to
different machines within our company. I didn't mind hitting 1 key to
do that !!

iNDRA | indra@amdcad.AMD.COM                       (408) 749-5445
      | {ames decwrl gatech pyramid sun uunet}!amdcad!indra
      | MS 167; Box 3453; Sunnyvale, CA 94088

indra@hobbes.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (06/02/89)

In article <9388@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us>, zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
| In article <204@grc.UUCP> don@grc.UUCP (Donald D. Woelz) writes:
|
| About .signature file change.
|
|>I consider this to be a major return to the dark ages.  I sometimes
|>edit my signature for various reasons.  I can no longer do that
|>on a mesage by message basis.
|
| Sure you can.  Just go into the editor and read in your signature
| manually if you want to change it.

Well, think about it... after you have edited your manually read signature,
you mail the message and elm sticks the unedited signature to your mail !!
You are left with 1-and-some-fraction of your signature !!!

jeff@cjsa.WA.COM (Jeffery Small) (06/02/89)

In article <281@levels.sait.edu.au>, ccdn@levels.sait.edu.au (DAVID NEWALL) writes:
> Certainly it's nice to have different local and remote signatures.  But
> I don't consider it a crime if elm occasionally chooses the wrong one.
> Especially since elm does, or at least it used to, include the signature
> in the edit buffer.  At least I knew what I was getting.  And I could
> change it if it was wrong.  Now I have to hope that elm is going to get
> it right.  And to be honest, I don't have that much faith in a computer.
> I'd like to be sure of what I'm getting.

I agree with this completely.   This change in the handling of signatures is
the first modification that has been made which I don't feel I will be able
to live with*.  Elm frequently does not give me the signature I want for a
particular individual (I have suggested linking the signature file to the
aliases to solve this problem) and I often edit it as I compose my message.
I too, want to see what elm is going to do.  For this reason, I am hesitant
to use the encode feature of elm because I have no easy way to verify that
the sensitive material has actually been encoded prior to sending it.

It seems to me that most of these problems concerning headers, signatures,
encoded messages, etc. are created because we are trying to accommodate the
simple-minded builtin+ editor - which is actually not an editor at all - and
users of real editors (vi, emacs, wordprocessors) are suffering the
consequences.  We are spending a lot of energy talking about and resolving
these incompatible message-creation strategies.  I would like to throw out
for comment the following idea:

Why don't we junk the builtin+ "editor" and replace it with a small and very
simple **buffered** editor which doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles,
could emulate the Berkeley commands to a good extent and yet, could handle
the inclusion of header/signature/etc material.  Then, create elmrc options
for each of the items in question which allow the user to either include
the material in the editor buffer or defer tacking on the info until the
message is sent.  This provides a uniform method of dealing with the problem
and would allow future enhancements to be more easily integrated into elm.

For users who now use builtin+, if you specify the new builtin editor and
defer inclusion of headers and signatures, then you could simulate exactly
the environment that exists now.  The rest of us could pick and choose the
set of options we like.

Doesn't code for a very simple editor exist in the public domain which could
be used as a starting point for inclusion in elm?

Comments?
--
Jeffery Small    (206) 485-5596            uw-beaver!uw-nsr!uw-warp
C. Jeffery Small and Associates                                    !cjsa!jeff

*[BTW - Patch 8 hasn't made it to this site either.]

phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J. Philip Miller) (07/22/89)

In article <707@isaak.UUCP> woerz@isaak.UUCP (Dieter Woerz) writes:
>In article <792@cjsa.WA.COM> jeff@cjsa.WA.COM (Jeffery Small) writes:
>>particular individual (I have suggested linking the signature file to the
>>aliases to solve this problem) and I often edit it as I compose my message.
>
>I would second this proposal. Make an extra field in the alias entry,
>which contains the name of the signature file to be used for this
>person with the option of giving no signature at all for such things
>as archive servers and things like that. Perhaps this can be a
>feature for a future release of elm.

It looks like we are continuing to suggest additions  to  the  aliases.text
file.  In addition to the folder to store incoming and/or outgoing mail, we
now have the suggestion of what signature to add.  I suggest that we  begin
to  talk about an entire database with a decent interface.  One of the very
nice things about mail on CMS was a NAMES file  which  not  only  gave  the
links  between the nickname and the electronic address, it also allowed the
specification of the  folder  (NOTEBOOK)  to  be  used  for  the  mail.  In
addition  it  had  optional  fields to list physical (snail) address, phone
numbers and tags which could be used to search  the  database.  This  meant
that  there  was  a  single  file  which  contained  all of my name/address
information - a great simplification of life over my current unix life.

Anyone have a design which could be used as the basis for such an animal?

-phil
--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

woerz%isaak@isaak.uucp (Dieter Woerz) (07/23/89)

In article <792@cjsa.WA.COM> jeff@cjsa.WA.COM (Jeffery Small) writes:
>I agree with this completely.   This change in the handling of signatures is
>the first modification that has been made which I don't feel I will be able
>to live with*.  Elm frequently does not give me the signature I want for a
>particular individual (I have suggested linking the signature file to the
>aliases to solve this problem) and I often edit it as I compose my message.

I would second this proposal. Make an extra field in the alias entry,
which contains the name of the signature file to be used for this
person with the option of giving no signature at all for such things
as archive servers and things like that. Perhaps this can be a
feature for a future release of elm.

> [Proposal about enlarging the functionality of the builtin editor
> deleted]

>Comments?

My comments to the given proposal are these:

I assume that most people don't use the builtin editor anyway. The
use vi, emacs or an other more comfortable editor, so that they can
edit the message with the editor they are used to.

So my proposal is:
    Why not call the editor with (the message including?) the
    signature (but no the headers?) when the user has sent the
    message and elm has made its choice for the signature? Is this
    change easy enough to incorporate for being a patch to remedy
    this no-signature-feature?

Comments?

Dieter Woerz
ISA GmbH, Azenbergstr. 35 D-7000 Stuttgart-1 W-Germany
UUCP:           {pyramid!iaoobel,uunet!unido}!isaak!woerz
BITNET/EARN:    woerz@ds0iff5