[comp.mail.elm] Saving message to a file

alan@cms2.UUCP (Alan McCain) (07/22/89)

This might be an elementary question, but I can't figure out how to save a
message to a regular file, one that's not in your Mail subdirectory.  I
used to be able to do that before 2.2 came along.  Any help would be
appreciated.

Alan
--
    Alan McCain
    Christian Medical & Dental Society

clarke@acheron.uucp (Ed Clarke/10240000) (07/23/89)

From article <143@cms2.UUCP>, by alan@cms2.UUCP (Alan McCain):
> This might be an elementary question, but I can't figure out how to save a
> message to a regular file, one that's not in your Mail subdirectory.  I

Just specify a fully qualified name such as /tmp/regular.file - Actually,
I suspect that anything with a '/' in it will work - ~/regular.file.

--
Ed Clarke
acheron!clarke

tmoore@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM (Tom.Moore@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM) (07/24/89)

clarke@acheron.uucp (Ed Clarke/10240000) writes:

>From article <143@cms2.UUCP>, by alan@cms2.UUCP (Alan McCain):
>> This might be an elementary question, but I can't figure out how to save a
>> message to a regular file, one that's not in your Mail subdirectory.  I

>Just specify a fully qualified name such as /tmp/regular.file - Actually,
>I suspect that anything with a '/' in it will work - ~/regular.file.

Actually any filename not preceeded by an "=" or an "~" will do.

If the filename does not start with a "/", the resulting file will be
relative to your present directory.

If the filename starts with a "/" it will be relative to root.

My problem tends to be just the opposite in that I forget to prepend the
"=" to the filename and end up saving files where I am rather than my
folder directory.:-)
--
* Tom Moore                NCR Corporation  PCD-6              (513) 445-1373 *
* Consulting Analyst       1700 S. Patterson Blvd.         VOICEplus 622-1373 *

indra@hobbes.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (07/25/89)

In article <1989Jul22.185115.7588@acheron.uucp> clarke@acheron.uucp (Ed Clarke/10240000) writes:
|From article <143@cms2.UUCP>, by alan@cms2.UUCP (Alan McCain):
|| This might be an elementary question, but I can't figure out how to save a
|| message to a regular file, one that's not in your Mail subdirectory.  I
|
|Just specify a fully qualified name such as /tmp/regular.file - Actually,
|I suspect that anything with a '/' in it will work - ~/regular.file.

I believe you can use the 'C' (Capital C) command to Copy the current
message to a file. I have used it successfully.

iNDRA | indra@amdcad.AMD.COM                 (408) 749-5445