[comp.mail.elm] Lock file

I am having problems with ELM not having group access to /usr/mail.
It says " Can't create lock file! Need write permission in "/usr/mail/".
Can anyone tell me what I need to configure to give ELM group access. A
posting would be fine, or you can mail me directly.

                                         Thanx,

                                                Greg

 Gregory Fell                  A. H. Case Center for CAE/M
 Systems Analyst               236 Engineering Building
                               Michigan State University
 fell@frith.egr.msu.edu        East Lansing, MI 48824-1226
 ...!uunet!frith!fell          Phone: (517) 353-8892

"No one expects the Spanish Inquisition...."

sfreed@tesla.unm.edu (Steve Freed) (07/27/89)

usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:

>I am having problems with ELM not having group access to /usr/mail.
>It says " Can't create lock file! Need write permission in "/usr/mail/".
>Can anyone tell me what I need to configure to give ELM group access.

You need to have elm set gid (group I.D.) and in the same group as
/usr/mail with /usr/mail read, write, and executable by group.

Here at our site, with all the problems we have here with students
trying to hack mail, we have modified elm so it doesn't use lock
files, but uses flock(2) exclusively. It is hoped that someday, when I
get the chance, I will do it properly with diffs and send the diffs to
the elm development group, so that in the future, sites that have flock(2)
can have the option to use it exclusively. (provided the changes are
approved.)

--
Steve.                sfreed@ariel.unm.edu

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (07/27/89)

In article <263@ariel.unm.edu> sfreed@tesla.unm.edu (Steve Freed) writes:
>usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:

>>I am having problems with ELM not having group access to /usr/mail.
>>It says " Can't create lock file! Need write permission in "/usr/mail/".
>>Can anyone tell me what I need to configure to give ELM group access.

>You need to have elm set gid (group I.D.) and in the same group as
>/usr/mail with /usr/mail read, write, and executable by group.

That is if you set up your spool directory that way.  Purdue has gone about
leaving it read and executable but not writable by group.  This helps out
security wise.  However, Configure will set Elm up so that it will try and
use all the nice flocking/lock files, nevertheless.  The solution is easy,
just edit leavembox.c, the mk_lockname routine, in the src directory, and
lock.c, lock routine, in the filter directory so that it uses a lock file that
is in the /tmp directory.  I haven't gotten around to fixing the filter part
yet, but I'm pretty sure that's will solve the problem.

I'd like to see Configure ask where it should put lock files instead of just
presuming where it should go based on if the system is Xenix or not.

-kareth.