[comp.mail.elm] Old mail overwriting new mail

yountm@gtephx.UUCP (Marvin Yount) (08/16/89)

I'm currently running Elm 2.2 PL0 in a sys5 mail environment on an Apollo
SR9.7 system.  Recently I've had a problem with newly received mail being
overwritten by an older piece of mail.  Yes, I know that sounds backwards,
but when I try to read the new mail, I'm instead shown the oldest mail in my
mailbox.  I've been keeping some mail for extended periods of time as a reminder
of things I need to follow-up on.  I understand that this is probably not an
intended use of any mailer, but I do find it useful.  Is there a time limit for
keeping old mail in the mailbox?  If not, is there a bug in Elm 2.2 PL0 that
causes this overwriting of mail to occur?  I'm trying to get our site up to PL10,
but I have so far been unable to obtain patch #2.  If my problem is fixed in one
of these patches, terrific.  If not, could it get put on a list of fixes for 2.2
or even 2.3?  Or, am I just abusing the intent of Elm and need to change my ways?
Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marv Yount (yountm@gtephx)
UUCP: {ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc}!gtephx!yountm
AG Communication Systems, Phoenix

yountm@numenor.UUCP (Marvin Yount) (08/17/89)

In article <450cf429.1070b@gtephx.UUCP>, yountm@gtephx.UUCP (Marvin Yount) writes:
>                Recently I've had a problem with newly received mail being
> overwritten by an older piece of mail.  Yes, I know that sounds backwards,
> but when I try to read the new mail, I'm instead shown the oldest mail in my
> mailbox.

I'm posting this as a follow-up to the above article I posted yesterday.  Just
after I posted that article, another user here complained of a problem with
somewhat similar symptoms.  In his case, when he tried to display a new message,
he was given a previously read message from the same day.  As I say, it's similar
in that an old message was read instead of the one that was desired to be read.
In case anyone reading this hasn't read my entire previous article, we are running
Elm 2.2 PL0 in a Sys V mail environment.

Thanks in advance for any help.

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (08/17/89)

yountm@gtephx.UUCP (Marvin Yount) writes:

>I'm currently running Elm 2.2 PL0 in a sys5 mail environment on an Apollo
>SR9.7 system.  Recently I've had a problem with newly received mail being
>overwritten by an older piece of mail.  Yes, I know that sounds backwards,
>but when I try to read the new mail, I'm instead shown the oldest mail in my
>mailbox.
First some background.... Elm does not work properly on SR9.7, it does
work properly on SR10.1.  Elm uses Unix style file system operations, that
are not necessarly the same under 9.7.  However, there still could be
two problems here, neither of which are bugs, but either
misunderstanding, or misconfiguration.

First: Elm presents the mail in a sorted order, if that sorter order
is oldest first, then it will show the mailbox that way, even though
it is stored in a different order.  (this is the misunderstanding)

Second is misconfiguration:  Elm uses several methods for locking the
mailbox.  If the locking method used is not the same as the one used
by the MTA, the MTA could deliver mail, and the Elm would overwrite it.
I do not know what locking method is used by SR9.7, but 10.1 uses flock
locking.  You need to compile Elm to use flock locking under 10.1.

I suggest you review your configuration.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235