[comp.mail.elm] Beginner's ELM question

rbarrell@lgnp1.LS.COM (Robert Barrell) (08/20/89)

     I am a relative newcomer to ELM, and think it is a great program.  I think
the problem I am having is one of not quite having everything setup properly,
yet.  When I use ELM to send a message, the message will arrive fine, but the
reply will be broken.  Thus, a message from "abc" to "xyz" will get to "xyz",
but when "xyz" tries to reply, ELM sends the reply out to "anonymous".   The
problem is on the sending end of ELM, however, since a message sent by ELM
and read by regular "mail" will show the message as having come from anonymous
instead of the actual sender.
     What am I doing wrong, or forgetting?  I tried changing "d_usembed", then
re-compiling, but that was before I realized it was the sending that was having
the problem not the receiving, so that didn't help.  I tried turning of "weed",
but that didn't change anything, either.  So far, the only thing that WILL work
is manually putting something in the "Reply-To:" field of the header before the
message is sent.  Is there a way to fill in the "Reply-To:" field automatically?
     I'm using ELM on a 286 system, with SCO xenix, and the regular mailer from
SCO.  Is this a problem I need to fix in ELM, or do I need to change from "mail"
to "smail" (or other)?
     Robert Barrell - rbarrell@ls.com
     "Hodgepodge" - Sysop of Milo's Meadow - A Citadel/UX BBS
     215-323-0497 - 300/1200/2400 - 24hrs. - login as "bbs"

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (08/20/89)

rbarrell@lgnp1.LS.COM (Robert Barrell) writes:
>Thus, a message from "abc" to "xyz" will get to "xyz",
>but when "xyz" tries to reply, ELM sends the reply out to "anonymous".
>     I'm using ELM on a 286 system, with SCO xenix, and the regular mailer from
>SCO.  Is this a problem I need to fix in ELM, or do I need to change from "mail"
>to "smail" (or other)?

Stock SCO Xenix's mail transport agent is /usr/lib/mail/execmail.
What you need to do is tell Elm that the mailer is /usr/lib/mail/execmail,
not /bin/rmail or /usr/bin/rmail.  This can be done in configure.

Also be aware that Elm will place multiple addresses in one command and
execmail nor rmail can handle that.  What you need instead is either
a shell script to split the addresses up with a for loop, or to use
smail.  Smail will solve both problems, the anon. problem and the
multiple addresses problem.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) (08/23/89)

In article <1989Aug20.122618.29215@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>rbarrell@lgnp1.LS.COM (Robert Barrell) writes:
>>Thus, a message from "abc" to "xyz" will get to "xyz",
>>but when "xyz" tries to reply, ELM sends the reply out to "anonymous".
>
>Stock SCO Xenix's mail transport agent is /usr/lib/mail/execmail.
>What you need to do is tell Elm that the mailer is /usr/lib/mail/execmail,
>not /bin/rmail or /usr/bin/rmail.  This can be done in configure.

Might I suggest that this is putting the cart before the horse?  I would
say that the first thing to do is install smail2.5.  After all, you need
to get your foundations solid before building on top of them.

>Smail will solve both problems, the anon. problem and the
>multiple addresses problem.

Exactly.

--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
"I wish you'd put that starvation box down and go to bed" - Albert Collins' Mom