[comp.mail.elm] Elm documentation format problems

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (08/23/89)

When I format the Elm 2.2 documentation, font switches (and probably
also some other settings) are not preserved across page boundaries.
E.g. from the example .elm/elmrc file in the Ref.guide only the part
up to the first page boundary appears in the Courier font.

Is this a problem using the tmac.n macros in general?

I use DWB 2.0 and the ditroff output itself is already wrong (that
is, the problem is not due to my postprocessor).

Besides this, a few other problems are present in the Elm documentation,
e.g. referring to the 'C' font i.s.o. the 'CW' font on some places.

--
-- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
-- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (08/24/89)

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) writes:

>When I format the Elm 2.2 documentation, font switches (and probably
>also some other settings) are not preserved across page boundaries.
I don't have that problem here using DWB.

>e.g. referring to the 'C' font i.s.o. the 'CW' font on some places.
There is no standard per se for font names, but since postscript
refers to Courier as C, we used that.  I have seen many choices
for the font names.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (08/24/89)

In article <1989Aug23.224527.313@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:

>jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) writes:

>>e.g. referring to the 'C' font i.s.o. the 'CW' font on some places.
>There is no standard per se for font names, but since postscript
>refers to Courier as C, we used that.  I have seen many choices
>for the font names.

Uhhh... the rest of the Elm documentation refers to CW i.s.o. C !!
It's true that there are no standards in that, but what do you mean
with "PostScript referring to Courier as C" ?? The one-or-two-letter
troff fontnames are determined by the tables and the ditroff
postprocessor (in the case of ditroff).

In order to circumvent the problem as much as possible you could
use a mounted font position, e.g. "\f5", and mount at the beginning
of each document the font: ".fp 5 CW". This would make life easier
for people naming the Courier font XY :-).

Nevertheless, use ONE name for ONE font in all your documentation.