[comp.mail.elm] local/remote siggy determination Q

klash@hobbes.uucp (Karl Klashinsky) (08/25/89)

The documentation for elm states that two signatures can be
specified, one local and one remote, However, I can't
find any details in the docs on how elm determines which
signature to use.

Does it use the local sig for mail to other users on the
same host, and the remote one for everyone else?  This
would seem a little limiting in today's world of
mult-host sites (ie, lots of workstations).  Is there
a way to tell elm to use the local sig for all mail
destined to machines in the current domain, for example?
Or to give a list of machines that should receive the
local sig?

Elm your responses to me :-), or post if you think its of
general interest.

--
Karl Klashinsky                              Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.
UUCP: ..!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hobbes!klash  Ottawa, Ont, Canada

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (09/01/89)

>The documentation for elm states that two signatures can be
>specified, one local and one remote, However, I can't
>
>Does it use the local sig for mail to other users on the
>same host, and the remote one for everyone else?  This

Yes.  Of course it is broken by users who want to include the
signature before they may have finished addressing the mail.
You could make it more flexible but it's just another bell & whistle
that makes elm more complex.

--
Branch Technology            |  zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

mike@cochise (09/04/89)

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:

->>The documentation for elm states that two signatures can be
->>specified, one local and one remote, However, I can't
->>
->>Does it use the local sig for mail to other users on the
->>same host, and the remote one for everyone else?  This

->Yes.

of course, if you're running smail or any other MTA that handles
aliasing also, you can fool elm into thinking that user@foo.my.org
is local to your machine. We have it set up this way here, and it
works pretty well (this setup actually led to the discovery of the
'elm destroys hard links'-problem, but that's another story;-).

BTW: the suggestions re: using sym- rather than hard links solved
the problem, thanks everyone!

Cheers
--
Mike Schroeder		PCS-Mail: msc