[comp.mail.elm] elm 2.2 PL10 sysalias unofficial patch

mday@ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) (09/01/89)

What is the verdict on unofficial patch posted recently?  Can I apply it and
expect future compatibility (will it be included in any following patches)?
--
+----------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
| Matthew T. Day, Icon International, Orem, UT | Xerox never comes up    |

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (09/04/89)

mday@ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) writes:
>What is the verdict on unofficial patch posted recently?  Can I apply it and
>expect future compatibility (will it be included in any following patches)?
The system vs user alias patch has been applied to the 2.3d version of
the code.  It will appear in that 2.3 release.  I forget why I didn't
consider adding it to 2.2 PL10 as part of the pending patch 11.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

indra@hobbes.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (09/08/89)

In article <424@ohs.UUCP> mday@ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) writes:
>What is the verdict on unofficial patch posted recently?  Can I apply it and
>expect future compatibility (will it be included in any following patches)?

This is exactly the kind of confusion I was talking about when I broached this
subject.  I appreciate folks being concerned about their mail bill, consider the
option: majority on the entire network carry the unofficial patch and just
purge it.  It not relevant to talk about global network resources here but the
argument is valid.

From the developer's point of view, this is going to be a nightmare to  deal with.
I urge folks enhancing/fixing elm to coordinate their efforts with the team and
produce a unified patch/upgrade strategy.  And like I said, if a patch is just too
important to a specific user, ask for it individually! (In that case they bear the
responsibility of "unpatching" when the official patch comes along.)

Keep up the great effort... let this not deter folks from fixing/enhancing elm.

iNDRA | indra@amdcad.AMD.COM                 (408) 749-5445