[comp.mail.elm] elm wishlist - news posting

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (09/08/89)

Here is an item for the elm wishlist.  I would like elm to have the
ability to post an item on uucp news.  For instance, I may want to send
a message (like this) to elm@dsi.com and post it on comp.mail.elm.  As
it is now, I must make a copy of the message, and invoke both elm and
postnews.  I can imagine very great usage of this feature should it be
made available.  Sorry, I do not know enough about news to do it myself.
Perhaps someone could give me a brief explanation of how articles are
posted.  -David-

--
Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics

jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles) (09/09/89)

In article <896@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
>Here is an item for the elm wishlist.  I would like elm to have the
>ability to post an item on uucp news.  For instance, I may want to send
>a message (like this) to elm@dsi.com and post it on comp.mail.elm.  As
>it is now, I must make a copy of the message, and invoke both elm and
>postnews.  I can imagine very great usage of this feature should it be
>made available.  Sorry, I do not know enough about news to do it myself.
>Perhaps someone could give me a brief explanation of how articles are
>posted.  -David-

	NOOOOOOOOOO!!  Elm is NOT a newsposter/newsreader.  Elm is for using
email, not news.

	If we were to add something like this, what would have us stop there?
Maybe we should add a news reader also, yeah!  While we're at it, let's add
a solid model graphics rendering engine, that's the ticket...  :-) :-)

	IMHO, the correct way to do this is to use the 's'ave feature of elm to
save the message.  Then, (if you use Pnews at least) use the 'Include file:' to
include your "elm/editor-composed" message.

Just one person's opinion...
	-Jeff

--
Jeff Beadles		Utek Engineering, Tektronix Inc.
jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM

jiii@visdc.UUCP (John E Van Deusen III) (09/12/89)

writes:
> I would like elm to have the ability to post an item on uucp news.
> --
> Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                Mr. David J. Camp
> Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu      Box 8067, Biostatistics
> uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          660 South Euclid
> Washington University (314) 36-23635        Saint Louis, MO 63110

From the main menu, enter the "pipe to" command |.  When asked for the
command, enter:

	/usr/lib/news/recnews [ newsgroup ] [ sender ] ]

If you have sendmail or delivermail you could put this sort of line in
the /usr/lib/aliases file:

	mymail:"|/usr/lib/news/recnews mynewsgroup"
          ^                                ^
          |                                |
         your mail handle                 your private news group

Then you could deal with ALL your mail from a News reader such as rn,
and you would not need to use elm at all.  Note that keeping your
private news group private requires some modification to the News
software.  Also, the result would not be as powerful as elm unless a
private newsgroup hierarchy could be created.  This is all still just a
pipe dream at my site, but I am thinking about it.  Elm is currently
twice the size of rn, is about half as good a reader, and continues to
feed its face with every patch.
--
John E Van Deusen III, PO Box 9283, Boise, ID  83707, (208) 343-1865

uunet!visdc!jiii

fred@cdin-1.UUCP (Fred Rump) (09/12/89)

In article <896@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
>Here is an item for the elm wishlist.  I would like elm to have the
>ability to post an item on uucp news.  For instance, I may want to send
>a message (like this) to elm@dsi.com and post it on comp.mail.elm.  As
>it is now, I must make a copy of the message, and invoke both elm and

Oh, yes. I second the motion and wish to add it to my wish list too.
Fred

--
Fred Rump              | UUCP:  {uunet bpa dsinc}!cdin-1!fred
CompuData, Inc.        |  or ...{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}