[comp.mail.elm] ReConfiguring elm

lgl@blake.acs.washington.edu (Laurence G Lundblade) (09/23/89)

I've found that sometimes I need to run Configure to recreate the
Makefiles etc, but I don't want to answer all the questions again.
That I just edit config.sh. I've got a hacked Configure that doesn't
ask me the questions that I use, but it'd be nice if it was in the
distribution. Anyone else suffering similarly.

Another iproblem s that we have our file systems configured so
/usr/local/bin is NFS mounted. It's complicated because we share files
among several architetcures and such. The problem is I can't run "make
install" easily because it does all the chgrp's and such which must be
run as root, and I can't run as root because then I can't write the
NFS file systems. I get around this by changing chgrp='chgrp' to
chgpr='echo' in config.sh so it doesn't do the change group. Then I have
to go the NFS server and do the chgrp's there. Well this is probably
more than anyone cares about, but maybe some one will have a comment.
Thanks....

Laurence Lundblade                       206-543-5617
  lgl@cac.washington.edu
     Networks and Distributed Computing, U of Washington, Seattle

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (09/23/89)

In article <3745@blake.acs.washington.edu> lgl@blake.acs.washington.edu (Laurence G Lundblade) writes:
>I've found that sometimes I need to run Configure to recreate the
>Makefiles etc, but I don't want to answer all the questions again.
>That I just edit config.sh. I've got a hacked Configure that doesn't
>ask me the questions that I use, but it'd be nice if it was in the
>distribution. Anyone else suffering similarly.
If you are, its needlessly.  If you edit config.sh and then wish to
recreate things there are two ways of doing it.  One is to run
Configure -d

the -d means use the default (ie last time entered answers).  It won't
stop to ask you anything and its been there all along.

If you only wish to update the makefiles, just execute the .SH files
from their directory, as in

cd src
sh Makefile.SH

that will remake the file from the .SH's.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235