[comp.mail.elm] Suggestions for next Elm release

asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) (09/21/89)

How about adding a -u <user> flag to elm?  This would start up elm to
read the user's mailbox (assuming permissions to do so).

I su to root all the time to read the postmaster mail and have to do a
	elm -f /usr/spool/mail/root
all of the time.  It gets to be a lot of typing.

Also: If I want to use readmsg to read in a message, I have to remember
which mail folder I am reading:
	readmsg -f /usr/spool/mail/root
or some such.  It would be nicer if elm could remember which mail folder
you are reading (like elm already remembers which mail message you are
reading) so that a plain readmsg would get the current message from the
current folder.

	--asp@uunet.uu.net (Andrew Partan)
	ASN.1 Object Identifier: "{joint-iso-ccitt mhs(6) group(6) 157}"

pmm@mips.COM (Paul M. Moriarty) (09/21/89)

In article <68093@uunet.UU.NET> asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) writes:
>How about adding a -u <user> flag to elm?  This would start up elm to
>read the user's mailbox (assuming permissions to do so).
>
>I su to root all the time to read the postmaster mail and have to do a
>	elm -f /usr/spool/mail/root
>all of the time.  It gets to be a lot of typing.

I second this request. I use this as well to read another mailbox
all day long. A -u option would really be nice.

--
Paul M. Moriarty        pmm@mips.com          {ames,decwrl}!mips!pmm
Computer Center SysAdmin

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (09/21/89)

I just had a small problem where I had about a dozen messages I wanted
to reply to, using the same message.  Apparently I cannot reply to more
than one at a time.  How about a 'R' that would reply to all tagged
messages at the same time?

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

gis@datlog.co.uk ( Ian Stewartson ) (09/22/89)

In article <27934@winchester.mips.COM> pmm@mips.COM (Paul M. Moriarty) writes:
>In article <68093@uunet.UU.NET> asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) writes:
>>How about adding a -u <user> flag to elm?  This would start up elm to
>>read the user's mailbox (assuming permissions to do so).
>>
>>all of the time.  It gets to be a lot of typing.
>
>I second this request. I use this as well to read another mailbox
>all day long. A -u option would really be nice.

We have solved this problem by configuring the Sendmail alias Database to
forward all messages to certain users (root, adm, lp, postmaster etc) to the
system supervisors (there are two of us).  Isn't this a better solution than
adding more functionality to ELM?

Regards,

Ian Stewartson
Data Logic Ltd, Queens House, Greenhill Way, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 1YR, UK.
(Phone) +44 1 863 0383 (Telex) 888103 (Fax) +44 1 861 2010
	+44 81 863 0383 after May 1990.
(Network) gis@datlog.co.uk or ukc!datlog!gis

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (09/22/89)

In article <27934@winchester.mips.COM> pmm@mips.COM (Paul M. Moriarty) writes:
|In article <68093@uunet.UU.NET> asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) writes:
|>How about adding a -u <user> flag to elm?  This would start up elm to
|>read the user's mailbox (assuming permissions to do so).
|>
|>I su to root all the time to read the postmaster mail and have to do a
|>	elm -f /usr/spool/mail/root
|>all of the time.  It gets to be a lot of typing.
|
|I second this request. I use this as well to read another mailbox
|all day long. A -u option would really be nice.

	Agreed, and it is likely pretty easy.
	The "-u <user>" option is pretty much
	the same as "-f MAILSPOOL/<user>", so
	it isn't too hard to add, methinks...

Cheers,
--
   __ 	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

elliot@alfred.UUCP (Elliot Dierksen) (09/22/89)

In article <27934@winchester.mips.COM>, pmm@mips.COM (Paul M. Moriarty) writes:
> In article <68093@uunet.UU.NET> asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) writes:
> >How about adding a -u <user> flag to elm?  This would start up elm to
> >read the user's mailbox (assuming permissions to do so).
> >
> >I su to root all the time to read the postmaster mail and have to do a
> >	elm -f /usr/spool/mail/root
> >all of the time.  It gets to be a lot of typing.

Why don't you just have have postmasters mail forwarded to you?? You can put
Forward to user in a mail file and all that mail will get sent straight to
you. You could also (if you use smail) not have postmaster as an actual
login, just set it up as an alias for you. I have all the admin accounts on
my system forwarded to me and it is very nice. Saves me a great deal of
work!!!

--
Elliot Dierksen                 UUCP: {peora,ucf-cs,uunet}!tarpit!alfred!elliot

"You can only be you once, but you can be immature forever!"

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (09/23/89)

According to asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan):
>How about adding a -u <user> flag to elm?  This would start up elm to
>read the user's mailbox (assuming permissions to do so).

Don't hack elm, write a shell script:

	: elmu
	# Shell script to read mail belonging to given user

	u="$1"
	shift

	m="/usr/spool/mail/$u"

	if [ ! -s $m ]
	then
	    echo "No mail for $u"
	    exit 1
	fi

	if [ ! -r $m ]
	then
	    echo "Can't read $u's mail"
	    exit 1
	fi

	elm -f $m ${1+"$@"}

Like, Elm is big enough already.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) (09/23/89)

In article <251A94F1.12570@ateng.com>, chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> Don't hack elm, write a shell script:
[script for elm -u]

But then one would need a script for frm -u & for readmsg -u & for ....
Where does it stop?

In article <377@alfred.UUCP>, elliot@alfred.UUCP (Elliot Dierksen) writes:
> > In article <68093@uunet.UU.NET> asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) writes:
> > >How about adding a -u <user> flag to elm?  This would start up elm to
> > >read the user's mailbox (assuming permissions to do so).
>
> Why don't you just have have postmasters mail forwarded to you??

There are several people doing postmaster & we switch off, often at a
moment's notice.  It is better to have the mail all be in once place,
instead of having to dig it out of possibly several people's different
mailboxes.

pmm@mips.COM (Paul M. Moriarty) (09/24/89)

In article <2235@dlvax2.datlog.co.uk> gis@datlog.co.uk ( Ian Stewartson ) writes:
>In article <27934@winchester.mips.COM> pmm@mips.COM (Paul M. Moriarty) writes:
>>In article <68093@uunet.UU.NET> asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) writes:
>>>How about adding a -u <user> flag to elm?  This would start up elm to
>>>read the user's mailbox (assuming permissions to do so).
>>>
>>>all of the time.  It gets to be a lot of typing.
>>
>>I second this request. I use this as well to read another mailbox
>>all day long. A -u option would really be nice.
>
>We have solved this problem by configuring the Sendmail alias Database to
>forward all messages to certain users (root, adm, lp, postmaster etc) to the
>system supervisors (there are two of us).  Isn't this a better solution than
>adding more functionality to ELM?

No it isn't. This solution would not work well at a site with many SysAdmins.
We use that mailbox as a clearinghouse for task assignment. With your
solution, I would receive many pieces of mail that were not my concern.

Both mailx and Mail have this feature and I am told (unverified) that mush
does as well so it would appear that the designers of the other popular
Mail User Agents thought it useful as well.