[comp.mail.elm] recieve mail from uucp instead of sender name

paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) (09/27/89)

I am running ICS 386/ix System V and I am using Elm Mailer (without any
patches - I even dont know how).   I am getting mail from "uucp" instead
of real sender address.   For example, I am getting message from
fungus!root but elm display this message from uucp instead of
fungus!root.  So I can not reply because of wrong header.    I am trying
to figure it out how to make Elm to read "To:" header properly.

Thank you for your help.

willy

elliot@alfred.UUCP (Elliot Dierksen) (09/29/89)

In article <8909271604.AA08698@decwrl.dec.com>, paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

> I am running ICS 386/ix System V and I am using Elm Mailer (without any
> patches - I even dont know how).   I am getting mail from "uucp" instead
> of real sender address.

I had this problem as well. If you run COnfigure again and answer "Yes" to
the "Do you get valid From: & Reply-To:" question, I believe that will solve
your problem. I have Elm 2.2 PL11 and smail 2.5 and I don't have any
problems (Except when some systems use smail and some use stock bin/mail).

That brings up another point. Is there any way to get elm to look at the
first from line that smail put in your header??

From uucp Thu Sep 28 07:21 EDT 1989
>From sceard!uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ames.arc.nasa.gov!icus!lenny  Thu Sep 28 07:21:04 1989 remote from tarpit
	id AA17526; Wed, 27 Sep 89 20:50:16 -0400

This message didn't contain the full path of the sender because some of the
sites didn't put the smail info into the message. Yet the information is
right there in the second line. Why is this?? Is there anything I can do
about it?? It really makes trying to reply to a message a bit of a dicey
proposition!!  :-(
--
Elliot Dierksen                 Home: {peora,ucf-cs,uunet}!tarpit!alfred!elliot
                                Work: {att,codas}!candi!fang!ebd

"You can only be you once, but you can be immature forever!"