[comp.mail.elm] RFC822 Standard Mail

bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) (10/02/89)

In article <232@vsserv.scri.fsu.edu> curci@vsserv.scri.fsu.edu.UUCP (Raymond Curci) writes:
>If you want to use UUCP, there are two programs named "smail" and
>"pathalias" that are used for these sorts of things.  They are
>available from many of the archive sites such as j.cc.purdue.edu if
>I recall correctly.

Yes, I would like to address mail using the the domain name system
and have it leave the system via UUCP bound for networks which use
Sendmail and communicate amongst each other via SMTP.  Therefore,
the mail headers, etc. need to conform to RFC822 standards.

So far I have Elm, Version 2.2, Patch Level 11, which I belive to
be the latest version/patch level.  (Could someone verify that?)
It will replace SCO "mail" and act as the user interface.

I would like to replace SCO "rmail" with Smail.  I have not been
able to locate it though, could someone please tell me what the
latest version/patch level is?  and where I could ftp it from?

Does Elm require both Smail and Pathalias to accomplish the above
task?  If so, what is the latest version/patch level of Pathalias?
Where can I ftp it from also?

While executing the Elm "Configure" script, it ask for the location
of two files, the Pathalias "data" file and a uumail-style "domains"
file.  Where can I obtain a "domains" file from?  Is it something
that you generate locally?  If so, with what?

In preparation for the installation of Elm,  I messed around with
what I think is an older version of Pathalias.  I fed Pathalias the
latest "u.usa.hi.1" and it produced two files, which is the one Elm
expects?  If I recall right, one had a "dat" extension and the other
a "pat" extension.  I have have since deleted this version of
Pathalias in hopes of finding the latest version on the net.

I would appreciate any assistance, all of this is rather new to me.
For those of you which may have missed the original posting, the
system is running SCO XENIX 386 2.3.1.  Thanks in advance!

				--Carmen
--
Carmen Hardina, Assistant System Administrator
INET: islenet!manapua!carmen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu