[comp.mail.elm] Old style headers generated by Elm incompatible with Berkeley ?

lgl@blake.acs.washington.edu (Laurence G Lundblade) (09/27/89)

(2nd attempt to post this in case you already got one)
I'm pretty sure the Elm always generates Cc: fields that look like
"fred (Fred Flintstone)". Our local expert informs us that this is the
older RFC733 style header, though it's still RFC822 compliant. The new
style is "Fred Flintstone <fred>". The parenthesis are a comment field
and not really part of anything. It seems Elm should generate the
new style, or at least have a compile time option.

The problem with earlier versions of Berkeley mail, or /usr/ucb/Mail,
is that it can't handle the RFC733 style addresses in Cc: field
(though it can in the To: field). It just goes into an infinite loop!
From the source we have they almost fixed this, and it is fixed in
4.3. Also it doesn't do real well with the 822 style headers either.
It does like the plain "fred" though. This is Ultrix 3.1 we have the
Berkeley mail source for.

Anyone else experienced this? Reasons for generating addresses as they
are currently?

Laurence Lundblade                       206-543-5617
  lgl@cac.washington.edu
     Networks and Distributed Computing, U of Washington, Seattle

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (09/28/89)

According to lgl@blake.acs.washington.edu (Laurence G Lundblade):
>I'm pretty sure the Elm always generates Cc: fields that look like
>"fred (Fred Flintstone)". Our local expert informs us that this is the
>older RFC733 style header, though it's still RFC822 compliant. The new
>style is "Fred Flintstone <fred>". The parenthesis are a comment field
>and not really part of anything. It seems Elm should generate the
>new style, or at least have a compile time option.

If Elm is generating RFC822-compliant addresses -- which it is -- then
there's nothing to fix.  Changing Elm won't solve your problem anyway:
Elm isn't the only mailer that generates addresses of the form
"login (Full Name)".

If your mailer is such a piece of garbage that it can't handle the most
common address format, you're the loser.  Fix your mailer or trash it.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

lgl@blake.acs.washington.edu (Laurence G Lundblade) (09/29/89)

After doing a bit more testing, I see this is more obscure than I thought.
The hanging occurs in Berkeley mail when there is entries after the
address "xx (yy)". That is
"Cc: xxx (yy)"       works
"Cc: xxx (yy), zzz"  inifinite loop with "r" command.

The reason for my concern is not so much a local problem -- we can fix
that easily -- but for other's using Berkeley mail on our campus and
on the Internet. Berkeley is used a lot because iot is sort of the
default. I'll still suggest that Elm consider the "name <addr>" style
headers because I can't see any thing to lose by going to them, and
the change is easy.

petebob@sequent.UUCP (Pete_Bob Apple) (10/05/89)

In article <3832@blake.acs.washington.edu> lgl@blake.acs.washington.edu (Laurence G Lundblade) writes:
>After doing a bit more testing, I see this is more obscure than I thought.
>The hanging occurs in Berkeley mail when there is entries after the
>address "xx (yy)". That is
>"Cc: xxx (yy)"       works
>"Cc: xxx (yy), zzz"  inifinite loop with "r" command.
>
>The reason for my concern is not so much a local problem -- we can fix
>that easily -- but for other's using Berkeley mail on our campus and
>on the Internet. Berkeley is used a lot because iot is sort of the
>default. I'll still suggest that Elm consider the "name <addr>" style
>headers because I can't see any thing to lose by going to them, and
>the change is easy.

There's code in the Berkeley mail to handle "()", it's just broken in 4.2.
The 4.3 version of Mail fixed a bug in the file names.c involving the
yankword() routine that caused the endless loop.  Basically, it's a coding
error on someones part in Mail.  If you have access to the source,
it's an easy fix, if not, upgrade to 4.3.  But the bug is not in Elm,
and it should not be changed.

The simpliest thing to do if you're mailing to someone on a 4.2 machine
is not include the "()" part of the address..  Or, use /usr/ucb/Mail
to mail to them..  Or, get them to use elm.  :-)

--
Pete_Bob Apple					Sequent Computer Systems
sequent!petebob					15450 S.W. Koll Parkway