[comp.mail.elm] Too long aliases

tombre@loria.crin.fr (Karl Tombre) (10/03/89)

I have a problem with the alias mechanism :

I have a long alias list, which probably gets silently truncated by
newalias :

syco = groupe responsables SYCO = jph@loria, jmp@loria, mchaton@loria,
                    masini@loria, carbo@loria, fohr@loria,
                    charp@loria, jcj@loria, romary@loria,
                    wrobel@loria, laasri@loria, maitre@loria,
                    azim@loria, abelaid@loria, ybelaid@loria,
                    boyer@loria, gong@loria, bonneau@loria,
                    thirion@loria, ziou@loria, quan@loria,
                    ingleber@loria, qiang@loria, falex@loria,
                    guyot@loria, brault@loria, jfmari@loria,
                    bourjot@loria, laprie@loria, wuli@loria

gets truncated with guyot@l, resulting in an error message "uucp site
l not resgistered" !!!!!

Is that a known bug or have I made an error in compiling the elm
system ???

--
Karl Tombre - INRIA Lorraine / CRIN
EMAIL : tombre@loria.crin.fr - POST : BP 239, 54506 VANDOEUVRE CEDEX, France

todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) (10/03/89)

tombre@loria.crin.fr (Karl Tombre) writes:

~I have a long alias list, which probably gets silently truncated by
~newalias :

The only way that I've been able to make this work is to create an
alias for each of the people that you have addresses for, and then
put the alias in the group.

In other words, you cannot make an alias out of a group of adresses,
but you can make an alias out of a group of aliases.

--

Todd Day  |  todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us  |  ivucsb!todd@anise.acc.com
"Ya know, some day these scientists are going to invent something

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (10/04/89)

tombre@loria.crin.fr (Karl Tombre) writes:
>I have a long alias list, which probably gets silently truncated by
>newalias. Is that a known bug or have I made an error in compiling
>the elm system ???
I prefer to call it a known limitation, albiet Elm is none too graceful
about it, yes if any line in any file is too long, Elm will truncate it.
Lengths vary but most are over 512 bytes long.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (10/04/89)

In article <1989Oct3.165017.20996@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:
+In other words, you cannot make an alias out of a group of adresses,
+but you can make an alias out of a group of aliases.

You *can* make a group out of addresses or previously defined aliases.
--
Rob Bernardo      ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob -or- rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM
  Product engineer, UNIX/C Reusable Code Library        Editor, "Go `C' UNIX"

tombre@walter.crin.fr (Karl Tombre) (10/05/89)

I asked the original question and now see followups to followups
about the subject. But the problem is that our newsfeed here in France
seemed to be cut off for a couple of days without recovering the lost
articles (don't ask why... the problem is not local to our site, I
noticed the same at a site at INRIA Paris, the "backbone" of Fnet).

So now, I still haven't seen any answers to my question (why are long
aliases cut off without warning ?), if there were any. Sorry for it,
but if some kind person could mail me a summary of the answers, manu
thanks in advance.