[comp.mail.elm] Potential New ELM Feature

don@grc.UUCP (Donald D. Woelz) (10/03/89)

While we are all in the mode of suggesting new features for ELM, I have
a suggestion of my own for the next version.  But first some background
so that you might understand why this feature could be important.

We have been using ELM now for several years.  Our organization uses ELM
throughout the entire organization.  We are a small company with about 40
employees in three offices located in the U.S., the U.K. and Hong Kong.
Literally every employee uses email and hence ELM.  We consider ourselves
to be about as close to a paperless office as you can reasonable get and
rely very heavily on email for all corporate communications.

Because the world exists, systems crash and communications get disrupted
on occasion.  This means that email doesn't always get where it is
supposed to go.  Neither the sender nor the recipient are always aware
that a piece of critical mail is lost.

Now for the proposal:  I think that some kind of feature to do the
equivalent of Ceritifed and Registered mail would be very useful to
indicate, at least to the sender, that his email has gone through.
Certified mail would be a piece of email sent back to the originator
indicating that his mail was indeed appended to the recipients
mailbox.  Registered email would be a piece or email sent back to
the originator indicating that the recipient has looked at the
piece of mail.

How can this be done?  Well, I am not by any means an expert at programming
this sort of stuff, but here are my thoughts.  First of all, I realize
that if the recipient is not using ELM, this would probably fall apart,
so let's assume that this will only work if both the sender and recipient
are using ELM.  Could one not create a special header field that would
indicate that the mail is either certified or registered?  If so, then
when a recipient invokes ELM, ELM scans the mailbox and, if there are
any certified email messages, send a receipt back to the sender.  The dates
can be checked to avoid sending a receipt for the same message each time
the mailbox is opened.  Similarly, ELM already keeps track of which
messages have been read, so when it finds that the user has read a
registered email message, it sends a receipt to the sender indicated so.

Enough said by me.  Anybody else have any comments on this?
--
Don Woelz              {ames, rutgers, harvard}!uwvax!uwmcsd4!grc!don
GENROCO, Inc.                              Phone: 414-644-8700

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (10/04/89)

Donald D. Woelz of GRC writes:

> Now for the proposal:  I think that some kind of feature to do the
> equivalent of Ceritifed and Registered mail would be very useful to
> indicate, at least to the sender, that his email has gone through.
> Certified mail would be a piece of email sent back to the originator
> indicating that his mail was indeed appended to the recipients
> mailbox.  Registered email would be a piece or email sent back to
> the originator indicating that the recipient has looked at the
> piece of mail.

This is an interesting issue that I've actually put a fair amount
of thought into, for various companies...  with most Unix
configurations, Certified mail should be done at the transport
level (e.g. "sendmail"), and indeed currently is, if you include
the header "Return-Receipt-To: <address>" in your message.

Registered mail is a tougher one with the Elm paradigm of "don't
touch the mailbox, just read it" because it then becomes tough
to record that the user has read the message.  (that is, if I
read a message from you, then eX)it Elm, should you receive TWO
registered-mail-receipts?  One for the first time I read it, and
one for the time I re-read the message after having exited Elm)

The latter is a fairly complex issue, mostly due to the design
principle of Elm not actually modifying any of the mailboxes it
looks at (where as Berkeley Mail, for example, adds a "Status:"
header to each message so that the program can keep track of just
this sort of thing...

More interestingly, I think, is the issue of how one would keep
track of whether receipts have been received for either of the
two types of mail.  What about, for example, a special feature
of the mail system that would keep a tally of all Certified and
Registered email that you send, and would then automatically
cross-reference and note when the receipts arrive?  Then you
could have an easy mechanism to query "what messages haven't
yet been received/read?" and so on.

		Other thoughts on this worthy idea?

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J. Philip Miller) (10/05/89)

In article <340@grc.UUCP> don@grc.UUCP (Donald D. Woelz) writes:
>Now for the proposal:  I think that some kind of feature to do the
>equivalent of Ceritifed and Registered mail would be very useful to
>indicate, at least to the sender, that his email has gone through.
>Certified mail would be a piece of email sent back to the originator
>indicating that his mail was indeed appended to the recipients
>mailbox.  Registered email would be a piece or email sent back to
>the originator indicating that the recipient has looked at the
>piece of mail.

Both PROFS and RICE/MAIL in the IBM environment attempt to do this.  From time
to time on the MAILBOOK LISTSERV group on Bitnet, this proposal is brought up
again because MAIL does it by inserting a "hidden record" within the body of
the mail message rather than by inserting an actual new header.  One of the
stumbling blocks was gaining agreement among the "header peopple" on a syntax
for defining a new header, adding it to RFC822 (the RFC actually acknowledges
the possibility for adding a new standard header, although it has never
actually been done :-).

It seems silly to implement this in ELM in a way which is incompatible with
other systems.  Your proposal suggests that an acknowledgement be sent
(optionally) both at the first time that ELM sees the message and at the first
time that a user actually reads the message.  This would be fairly easy to
implement in ELM, but others would argue that there should be an
acknowledgement sent when it is actually placed in your mailbox, not the first
time that ELM sees it, That is I want to know when the message has actually
arrived (hopefully safely) at the recepient's machine.  This requires changes
to the MTA, not to ELM and points out the need for standardization before
going off and implementing such a scheme.

Another area requiring some coordination with the MTA is that most people who
have entered into the discussions previously have indicated that they want to
be able to specify a particular address where the acknowledgement is sent,
rather than automatically back to the from address.  If so, then all gateways
and other MTA who mangle the from header also need to be educated about the
new header.

In short, this is an excellent idea.  It has proved to be very useful in other
MUA systems, but the experience there suggests that for it to work well, there
needs to be a standard developed so that (over time at least) all the relevant
software gets changed and we all do our work more productively.

-phil
--
     J. Philip Miller, Professor, Division of Biostatistics, Box 8067
	 Washington University Medical School, St. Louis MO 63110

scs@itivax.iti.org (Steve Simmons) (10/05/89)

I won't repeat all the pros and cons of return receipts and registered
mail (you're welcome :-), just want to add an opinion.

The 'real world' of the RFCs isn't likely to define this in our lifetime,
so being 'RFC-compliant' is a non-issue.  Let's make this an Elm-to-Elm
features, with an XElm-Receipt header (or something similar).  If other
mailers pick it up (Dan Heller?) great.  If not, that's fine too -- we
can tout it as a reason for using elm over all them inferior mailers.
:-) :-) :-) :-)
--
  + Steve Simmons                  scs@itivax.iti.org +
  + Industrial Technology Institute    Ann Arbor, MI. +

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (10/05/89)

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>This is an interesting issue that I've actually put a fair amount
>of thought into, for various companies...  with most Unix
>configurations, Certified mail should be done at the transport
>level (e.g. "sendmail"), and indeed currently is, if you include
>the header "Return-Receipt-To: <address>" in your message.
Dave is correct, here, but there is one problem, Return-Receipt-To:
sends a receipt from every system that handles the message, and in the
uucp world, that could be a lot of receipts.  It would be nice if
the receipt came from the final system only.  Now, of course, with
SMTP there is no such problem.

[....]
>The latter is a fairly complex issue, mostly due to the design
>principle of Elm not actually modifying any of the mailboxes it
>looks at (where as Berkeley Mail, for example, adds a "Status:"
>header to each message so that the program can keep track of just
>this sort of thing...
Dave is a little out of date here, as Elm also adds status headers
now and they could be used to handle the 'read/not read' problem.
However, if one exits with 'X',then indeed they are not updated,
so more than one time the response could be set.

Also, I think this problem needs to be solved outside of Elm, in a
more universal fashion.  What we need is an RFC specifying the
new headers and how all conforming MUA's and MTA's are supposed to
handle this.  A discussion here followed by a general discussion
in the RFC process would handle this, but don't expect it to be
a quick process, lets just say it won't make Elm 2.3.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

ignatz@chinet.chi.il.us (Dave Ihnat) (10/06/89)

In article <144@limbo.Intuitive.Com> taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:

>This is an interesting issue that I've actually put a fair amount
>of thought into, for various companies...  with most Unix
>configurations, Certified mail should be done at the transport
>level (e.g. "sendmail"), and indeed currently is, if you include
>the header "Return-Receipt-To: <address>" in your message.

True.  However, if it isn't handled by your MTA, then it could be a function
of elm, in the same way that you can choose to have either elm or your MTA
attempt to resolve addresses now.  It would be, I'd think, a configurable
feature.

>Registered mail is a tougher one with the Elm paradigm of "don't
>touch the mailbox, just read it" because it then becomes tough
>to record that the user has read the message.  (that is, if I
>read a message from you, then eX)it Elm, should you receive TWO
>registered-mail-receipts?  One for the first time I read it, and
>one for the time I re-read the message after having exited Elm)
>
>The latter is a fairly complex issue, mostly due to the design
>principle of Elm not actually modifying any of the mailboxes it
>looks at (where as Berkeley Mail, for example, adds a "Status:"
>header to each message so that the program can keep track of just
>this sort of thing...

Again, true.  I think that, if we DO want to keep "don't touch the
mailbox", then we're talking about a status file.  In this, you could
keep the status and identifying information concerning the mailbox and
mail items of interest such as certified and registered mail, high-priority
items, etc.  Once you've bitten the bullet and decided to keep this, you
could add other features, such as alarms for high-priority items that have
aged, etc.

>More interestingly, I think, is the issue of how one would keep
>track of whether receipts have been received for either of the
>two types of mail.  What about, for example, a special feature
>of the mail system that would keep a tally of all Certified and
>Registered email that you send, and would then automatically
>cross-reference and note when the receipts arrive?  Then you
>could have an easy mechanism to query "what messages haven't
>yet been received/read?" and so on.

Again, quite difficult, unless you include the status datafile.  Once you
have that, then much of this is easy to implement.

Aside from the work involved with the design and implementation, the only
other problem I'd worry about is synchronization of the status file with
the active mailbox or mailboxes; or rather, lack of synchronization due to
corruption, system crashes, or the modification of the mailbox(es) by other
mail display agents than elm.  This, of course, can be overcome--a
resynchronization and validation pass will almost certainly have to be done
by elm on startup--but it's probably going to noticably add to the startup
time, and we'll have to be sure that it's a robust recovery.  But I think the
benefits of this type of feature are worth it...

		Dave Ihnat
		Analysts International Corporation
		ignatz@homebru.chi.il.us (preferred return address)
		ignatz@chinet.chi.il.us

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (10/07/89)

In article <340@grc.UUCP> don@grc.UUCP (Donald D. Woelz) writes:
>Now for the proposal:  I think that some kind of feature to do the
>equivalent of Ceritifed and Registered mail would be very useful to

If anyone is serious about implementing this feature, they should become
familiar with existing syntax used by other mail packages, such as the
Rice Mail package used on .bitnet .  That way, mail between the two
networks would support this feature.  I would be happy to specify
details to anyone who needs them.  -David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110
--

darrell@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Darrell McIntosh) (10/09/89)

In article <1989Oct5.143914.9060@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>Dave is correct, here, but there is one problem, Return-Receipt-To:
>sends a receipt from every system that handles the message, and in the
>uucp world, that could be a lot of receipts.  It would be nice if
>the receipt came from the final system only.  Now, of course, with
>SMTP there is no such problem.

Actually the receipts are sent from the systems that perform the final
mail delivery, i.e., the systems that put the mail into the users'
mailboxes.  Sites that handle the mail along the way to the destination
do not send receipts although they should be attaching Received: headers
so that you can determine, more or less, the path the mail took to get
to its destinations.  The receipts typically include all the mail
headers but have the body of the mail deleted.

--
Darrell McIntosh, Motorola Microcomputer Division, Urbana [IL] Design Center
Phone:	+1 217 384 8509

The mail here has a return receipt capability. The extra header is:

	Return-receipt-to: username

I don't know how standard this is.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.