[comp.mail.elm] Suggestion

rae98@wash08.uucp (Robert A. Earl) (10/12/89)

Our homegrown mail software (user agent) numbers multiple replies on
the same subject...ie:
Dummy Subject
Re: Dummy Subject
Re(2): Dummy Subject
Re(3): Dummy Subject

Any chance of elm being able to do this?  Is it a good idea?
It was incorporated here because of mail systems our users were accustomed
to already, which had this feature.  This will become a selling point
if I want to convince our users to use ELM.
Name:	Bob Earl		Phone:	(202) 872-6018 (wk)
UUCP:	...!uunet!wash08!rae98	BITNET:	rae98@CAS

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (10/13/89)

rae98@wash08.uucp (Robert A. Earl) writes:

>Our homegrown mail software (user agent) numbers multiple replies on
>the same subject...ie:
>Dummy Subject
>Re: Dummy Subject
>Re(2): Dummy Subject
>Re(3): Dummy Subject
>Any chance of elm being able to do this?  Is it a good idea?
Oh, no, its the nn war all over again.  If we mix the netnews
and mail traditions, this is a nono.  Although RFC822 has nothing
to say on the matter, for subject follow up threads, this
will break many systems out there.  Like it was a bad idea
in news, I thinks its a bad idea in mail.

It has another problem, also, If a message is sent to more
than one person, there could be different Re(2):'s and Re(3):'s
as each of them reply.

Lastly, I wonder if the ()'s before the : break the syntax
within RFC822, I know () surround comments after the :, but I don't
know if they have any meaning before the :'s, or even if anybody
thought about it.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235