[comp.mail.elm] Elm misfeature?

stevesc@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Schonberger) (10/14/89)

I've noticed that when Elm can't find a comment field for a reply, it
uses the user name as the comment field (only some of the time).

Here's an example.  Suppose I get mail from "john" with no comment
field.  He's not in /etc/passwd because he's on a networked machine at
this site.  Elm will generate "To: john (john)" which is ugly.

This only happens for local user names that aren't in /etc/passwd.
There's no problem for other sites, and it can find comment fields
just fine in /etc/passwd.

I'd call this a misfeature rather than a bug.  It doesn't really hurt
anything, but it does generate headers that are really ugly for people
whose mail readers don't strip out redundancy.

I just read the bug list a couple of days ago and don't recall seeing
this one.  If it is and I overlooked it, never mind.  I'm running
version 2.2, patch level 11.

--
	Steve Schonberger	microsoft!stevesc@uunet.uu.net
	"Who built the Space Needle?  Elvis!" -- Mojo Nixon

joe@modcomp.UUCP (10/17/89)

> I've noticed that when Elm can't find a comment field for a reply, it
> uses the user name as the comment field (only some of the time).

I'm able to get this misfeature to happen all the time.  Just configure
elm *not* to look at /etc/passwd for alias information.  All return
addresses have the form:

	joe (Joe Korty) (joe)

Yuck!
--
joe korty			"for every vengence there is an equal and
uunet!modcomp!joe		opposite revengence." (from Cartoon Laws)

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (10/18/89)

According to joe@modcomp.UUCP:
>All return addresses have the form:
>	joe (Joe Korty) (joe)
>Yuck!

The bug results from a return address, with comment, being looked up again
as an alias or local address, with that additional comment added on.

I fixed this bug in the development version of 2.3.  My fix is to qualify
the return address with the local hostname, which defeats alias expansion
and local address recognition.  Okay, it's not art, but it works.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (10/18/89)

:
:The bug results from a return address, with comment, being looked up again
:as an alias or local address, with that additional comment added on.
:
:I fixed this bug in the development version of 2.3.  My fix is to qualify
:the return address with the local hostname, which defeats alias expansion
:and local address recognition.  Okay, it's not art, but it works.
:--
:You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
:Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
:"'Why do we post to Usenet?'  Naturally, the answer is, 'To get a response.'"
:                        -- Brad "Flame Me" Templeton

Does this cause the remote .signature to be included in the message?
-David-
--
Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics