[comp.mail.elm] Get-Token Error

klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) (10/19/89)

Hello,
I was wondering whether anyone could help me solve a problem I'm
having with Elm 2.2 running on a Sequent Symmetry S27 running
Dynix V3.0.12.

Just after leaving the editor (vi), one of my users attempts to
change the Cc: and/or Bcc: fields using 'edit (h)eaders' and gets
the following error:

--> Get-token calls nested greater than 20 deep!
--> Emergency exit taken!
--> All temp files intact!

Then elm exits and the user has to remove his /tmp/mbox.user file
before he can use elm. Unfortunately, he also loses the message he
just wrote. This doesn't happen when he modifies the Subject: field
using the same procedure. This error just started appearing recently
after he'd been away for a few days. It never happened before, it
doesn't happen to anyone else and I have at least 50 people using
elm. What gives?

--
Thanks,

-Kevin

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (10/20/89)

klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) writes:

>Just after leaving the editor (vi), one of my users attempts to
>change the Cc: and/or Bcc: fields using 'edit (h)eaders' and gets
>the following error:

>--> Get-token calls nested greater than 20 deep!
>--> Emergency exit taken!
>--> All temp files intact!
>What gives?
Sounds like that user has an alias file with a loop in it.

Ie:

name1 = some string = name2
name2 = some string = name1

(now, thats a simple one, the loop could be longer, or part of a
group alias, etc.)  Anyway, the expansion recurses beyond a built
in limit and Elm error exits.

Thats just one likely item.  Anybody else got any others?
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235