[comp.mail.elm] Save mail in folder with 'alias' name -- Potential New Feature

alex@dutirt1.tudelft.nl (Alexander Vonk) (10/11/89)

Just an idea:
I receive or send mail to my friend Matthijs a lot. His address is specified
as alias 'matthijs', because his mail address is 'b35@dhdurz1.bitnet' and
that's to much to remember for me. When I want to save this mail using
ELM 2.2 PL11 the default save folder pops up as '=b35', while I want to
save this mail in archive '=matthijs'.

Is it possible to specify default save folders in an aliases-like way,
like usage of the aliases database to come up with a more user friendly
name than the userid in the mail address itself?

By the way: I have been using ELM for about 3 months and I am
very pleased with ELM.
+++								+++
+++	Alexander Vonk						+++
+++	Technical Univ. Delft, Delft, Netherlands		+++
+++		Phone:	(Netherlands) 015 - 78 64 12		+++

mike@cochise (10/26/89)

alex@dutirt1.tudelft.nl (Alexander Vonk) writes:

->Just an idea:
->I receive or send mail to my friend Matthijs a lot. His address is specified
->as alias 'matthijs', because his mail address is 'b35@dhdurz1.bitnet' and
->that's to much to remember for me. When I want to save this mail using
->ELM 2.2 PL11 the default save folder pops up as '=b35', while I want to
->save this mail in archive '=matthijs'.

->Is it possible to specify default save folders in an aliases-like way,
->like usage of the aliases database to come up with a more user friendly
->name than the userid in the mail address itself?

I had the same (a similar ;-) problem a while ago and found a
solution (thanks to some of the wizards out there!-):

set up links from (using your example) =b35 to =matthijs. BUT:
these have to be soft (i.e. symbolic) links, as ELM will destroy
ha

alex@dutirt2.tudelft.nl (Alexander Vonk) (10/27/89)

mike@cochise writes:

>alex@dutirt1.tudelft.nl (Alexander Vonk) writes:

>->Just an idea:
>->I receive or send mail to my friend Matthijs a lot. His address is specified
>->as alias 'matthijs', because his mail address is 'b35@dhdurz1.bitnet' and
>->that's to much to remember for me. When I want to save this mail using
>->ELM 2.2 PL11 the default save folder pops up as '=b35', while I want to
>->save this mail in archive '=matthijs'.

>->Is it possible to specify default save folders in an aliases-like way,
>->like usage of the aliases database to come up with a more user friendly
>->name than the userid in the mail address itself?

>I had the same (a similar ;-) problem a while ago and found a
>solution (thanks to some of the wizards out there!-):

>set up links from (using your example) =b35 to =matthijs. BUT:
>these have to be soft (i.e. symbolic) links, as ELM will destroy
>ha

Yes, I thought of that too. But it doubles the number of files in my
mail directory. And what about mail sent to groups I want to have in
one mail folder?

+++	Alexander Vonk - Technical Univ. Delft, Netherlands	+++
+++Phone:	(NL) 015 - 78 64 12	(world) 31 15 78 64 12	+++
+++Mail:	alex@dutirt2.tudelft.nl	or alex@dutirt2.UUCP	+++

henkp@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Henk P. Penning) (10/27/89)

In article <1114@pcsbst.UUCP>, mike@cochise writes:
> alex@dutirt1.tudelft.nl (Alexander Vonk) writes:

> ->Just an idea:
> ->Is it possible to specify default save folders in an aliases-like way,

> set up links from (using your example) =b35 to =matthijs. BUT:
> these have to be soft (i.e. symbolic) links, as ELM will destroy
> ha

This solution is not practical if you mail a lot with
different users who all have the same username (jan piet henk).
It would be wonderful if the alias file contained a new
aka (also known as) field per alias, containing many names and addresses
which could be used for mapping addresses or full names
found in From: lines to an alias.

Ambiguity can occur but Elm could present us with a choice
and a default as in other situations. Mail from people for whom
I have an alias and who occur in a group-alias could be saved
either in the individual mailbox or in the group mailbox.

I hope this feature makes it someday.
It is the only facility I realy miss.
--
Henk P. Penning, Dept of Computer Science, University of Utrecht.
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.