[comp.mail.elm] Elm loses mailbox on full NFS partition

tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tim Chown) (10/26/89)

We're running Elm2.2PL10 (soon to be 13) on a Sun unix network under
SunOS3.5 and are pleased with it as a whole.  There is one problem
that recurs from time to time, namely users losing their mailboxes
when the partition which elm uses for the temporary mail box fills up.
Our users get annoyed when their mail boxes are chopped, even though
we keep backups.  It's no good checking the free space before invoking
elm, as the amount of storage available is constantly changing.

So the question is can elm be modified to cope with this problem?
The sources seem to indicate that the temporary mail box is kept
while the user mail file is overwritten, though the code is not
very transparent (to me anyway!).  The only solution I can see
outside of a patch is to use the same partition for the temporary
mail box as the spooled mail files, but I wouldn't want to see
that partition filling up either!   In an ideal world we'd have
more disk space, but unfortunately that's not the case ...

I haven't seen any other comments about this problem - do other elm
users suffer from it or are we alone on this one?

Cheers,
	Tim Chown
	tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk

sfreed@gauss.unm.edu (Steve Freed) (10/28/89)

In article <946@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tim Chown) writes:

> I haven't seen any other comments about this problem - do other elm
> users suffer from it or are we alone on this one?

Yes, our spool directory sometimes fills up and you loose everything that
way. Increasing our spool directory is not an option at the moment. Does
anyone know have Berkely mail handles this?

I do believe these problems are in the elm bug list.

Steve.