[comp.mail.elm] c)opy file command broken

brennan@rtp.dg.com (David Brennan) (11/16/89)

I tried to use the c)opy file command from the send menu to save a message
I was writing, and wanted to finish later.  So, I typed "c/tmp/x<RETURN>"
and then "f" for forget and exited elm.  Elm however, did not save the
message.  I tried this for a folder as well (eg: "=x") but it didn't work
either.  This is from Elm 2.2 PL13.  Also, not that anyone really cares,
but it very annoying to work on something for an hour (with only one hand
because I have a broken finger) then lose it.

PS: Syd, can you try to send some mail to me.  It seems I've been unsuccessful
to get stuff through to you in the past.  The mail doesn't seem to make it to
you, but never bounces back.

--
                                                   _________
Dave Brennan, User Interfaces, Data General Corp. /         brennan@rtp.dg.com

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (11/17/89)

brennan@rtp.dg.com (David Brennan) writes:

>I tried to use the c)opy file command from the send menu to save a message
>I was writing, and wanted to finish later.  So, I typed "c/tmp/x<RETURN>"
>and then "f" for forget and exited elm.  Elm however, did not save the
>message.  I tried this for a folder as well (eg: "=x") but it didn't work
>either.  This is from Elm 2.2 PL13.  Also, not that anyone really cares,
>but it very annoying to work on something for an hour (with only one hand
>because I have a broken finger) then lose it.
This is a misunderstanding of the feature, therefore perhaps a
doc problem.  On the Send menu, the Copy file, is not a command,
but an option setting that will save a copy of the message in
a file when it is actually sent, not immediately.  The
Forget, then also tells Elm to forget the copy.  What you are
doing is telling Elm where to save the message to when it is actually
sent.

I will look at strengthing the doc in this area.  The only work
around I can suggest is to use the edit message option and write
the buffer somewhere.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (11/17/89)

According to brennan@rtp.dg.com (David Brennan):
>I tried to use the c)opy file command from the send menu to save a message
>I was writing, and wanted to finish later.  So, I typed "c/tmp/x<RETURN>"
>and then "f" for forget and exited elm.  Elm however, did not save the
>message.

The c)opy command isn't broken.  The described behavior is correct.  Elm
only saves an _outgoing_ message in the file specified with c)opy.  If you
don't let the message go out, it won't get saved.

If you want to save the current version of a message but not send it,
use your editor's save-to-a-file command.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>