[comp.mail.elm] Popd support for elm

tom@osf.osf.org (Tom Jordahl) (11/18/89)

I recently switched jobs and I was used to support/maintaining/using elm
at my previous location.  Now around here I find that elm is frowned
upon because is does not support the popd or Post Office Protocol daemon.

I have my opinion on the usefullness of this, but what I would like
to know is why elm does not support this.

Is is being considered for elm 2.3?

My understanding is that a mail user agent makes requests to one
machine which handles all the mail and runs a daemon.
Something like: send me message #1, send me this users mailbox,
or delete this message from the mailbox.

Apparently, the popd server machine also broadcasts to the net
when anyone gets new mail.  I'm not sure how this works.

This allows workstation users to read their mail from anywhere
in the organization.  As long as the MUA supports this popd
protocol.  Emacs Rmail does, as well as MH.

Has anyone out there hacked elm to do this?

Can this be considered for inclusion into elm 2.3?

Is there a history to this that I am not aware of?

Tom Jordahl                                       Internet: tom@osf.org
Open Software Foundation                          UUCP:   ..!uunet!osf!tom
       "A silly quote is only worth what you put into it."  -- me

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (11/20/89)

tom@osf.osf.org (Tom Jordahl) writes:
:I recently switched jobs and I was used to support/maintaining/using elm
:at my previous location.  Now around here I find that elm is frowned
:upon because is does not support the popd or Post Office Protocol daemon.

:I have my opinion on the usefullness of this, but what I would like
:to know is why elm does not support this.
Because no one thought it important enough to do it.

:Is is being considered for elm 2.3?
No, and my guess is it won't be an easy change, as the mailbox
mangling Elm does is rather major.  What you would have would be
a very different animal, but not Elm when you were done.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (11/22/89)

Tom Jordahl asks about POPD support within the Elm Mail System, to
which Syd Weinstein responds, rather bluntly, with:

> [Elm doesn't support POPD] because no one thought it important enough
> to do it.

As it turns out, Syd is incorrect.  Back in 1988 I thought it was quite
important to do and actually spent a few months working on adding a
generic POPD support layer to the entire Unix electronic mail
infrastructure.  The result of that research was presented at the Winter
1988 Usenix technical conference at a talk entitled "The Postman Always
Rings Twice: Experiences with Electronic Mail in a Distributed Environment".

The gist of what we did was to tear out the POPD code from the public
domain version of MH and bring it up as a "server" on a central machine.
I then, with the assistance of a number of HPL colleagues, wrote a set
of utilities called enroll(1L), popmail(1L), popaka(1L), and popwrd(1L):

    enroll - sign up for outbound mail address rewriting

	"Enroll allows users to sign up for having their outbound addresses
	 on all electronic mail rewritten as if it were from their PostOffice
	 Box on the Post Office server (the POP server) machine.

	"Specifically, if the user is signed up for POP service, they can
	 elect to either explicitly use the Reply-To: field of their out-
	 bound mail to point all responses to their pobox, or they can
	 explicitly have the mail altered on its way out to reflect their
	 postoffice box name."

    popaka - add or delete user@host POP access

	"Popaka allows you to add or delete user@host access pairs from your
	 POP account.  Trusted access pairs are those that don't need any
	 password to access your postoffice box, so it is highly recommended
	 that this use be minimized for security reasons...

	"NOTE: while this shares the name with the common popaka(1) as
	 distributed as part of the MH POP package, this is a completely
	 different package."

    popmail - allow pop interation with arbitrary mailers

	"Popmail is a command intended to bring the benefits of the Post
	 Office Protocol to (almost) standard Unix mailers.  The Post
	 Office Protocol is a method by which a remote host stores mail
	 for users who may claim it from any of several client hosts.  It
	 is useful in that the user needs only one mail address and can
	 thus take full advantage of NFS and other network file sharing
	 mechanisms.

	"The basic strategy of popmail is to contact the POP server and
	 retreive the mail stored there into a file specified by the user.
	 A mailer specified by the user is then started to read the mail,
	 so that his usual mail reading environment is kept.

	"Popmail takes several arguments which control its behaviour:

	  -h hostname   This argument (or having the environment variable
			POSTOFFICE set to the name of the remote host)
			is mandatory, and specifies which host to try and
			contact a POP server on.

	  -b pobox	If the user is requesting access to a post office
			box other than that which matches the current login,
			this can be used to specify which to use (the envir-
			onment variable POBOX can also be used in this
			context).

	  -p		If you aren't at a trusted user@host pair (see popaka)
			this will allow you to specyf what password to use
			for the remote connection

	  -l		This will allow you to retreive the mail in your
			postoffice box without actually having the master
			copies deleted (the default is to delete all mail
			once it's copied out).

	  -f maildrop	Deposit the mail in file maildrop  (the default is
			to drop it in /usr/mail/USERNAME).

    popwrd - change your POP access password

	"Popwrd is a simple command to allow remote setting and changing
	 of your POP access password.  To do this, you need to be accepted
	 as a valid user of te specified POP account, therefore you need to
	 either already be on a trusted user@host pair (see popaka) or will
	 need to use the '-p' flag to enter the existing password."

The basics of how this is set up is that we hacked into "sendmail" to teach
it to rewrite addresses of "enrolled" users so that their mail seemed to
come from their POBOX rather than whatever machine they happened to be
actually on, then they'd automatically use "popmail" to retrieve their
mail either explicitly upon invocation or implicitly every 'n' minutes or
related.

Typical examples of usage would be a aliases like:

	alias elm	"echo checking our POBOX; popmail; elm"
	alias mailx	"echo checking our POBOX; popmail; mailx"

Which, as you can see, is a completely transparent way to have the Elm
Mail System (and others) interact with a POP server, AND is very flexible
and configurable to boot!

- - -

Obviously, as someone who is now not a part of the Elm Mail System
development group, I cannot speak for what the future plans of the
group are, but I can certainly point out that what you're asking for,
Tom, isn't at all technically challenging.  In fact, if you're
already running POP at the OSF, then you're 75% of the way there.

I do, however, find it objectionable that Syd would respond in
such a summary and negative fashion without inquiring further about
possible ways to hook Elm and POPD together.  Just like with adding
X.400 support, or name server hooks, or netnews reading, or any of a
number of other custom modifications that have transpired over time,
the key here is to be open minded and creative...

Tom, I hope this information can help you and the rest of the group
understand one possible way of retrofitting Elm (without any code
changes at all, notice) to gracefully fit into the OSF mail environment.
If you'd like to know more about this software, please refer to one of
the following documents:

	Taylor, Dave, "The Postman Always Rings Twice", Proceedings of
		the Winter 1988 Usenix Technical Conference, Washington
		D.C., February 1988.

	Taylor Dave, "On-Line Post Office Boxes: Writings about
		Electronic Mail Postoffices", Hewlett-Packard Software
		Technology Laboratory Technical Report STL-88-6,
		April 21st, 1988.  (C) Copyright 1988, Hewlett-Packard.
		Available for public distribution.

Good luck and please do report back here on any results you achieve.

					Sincerely,

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (11/24/89)

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:

>which Syd Weinstein responds, rather bluntly, with:
>> [Elm doesn't support POPD] because no one thought it important enough
>> to do it.

>As it turns out, Syd is incorrect.  Back in 1988 I thought it was quite
>important to do and actually spent a few months working on adding a
>generic POPD support layer to the entire Unix electronic mail
>infrastructure.
[...]
>I do, however, find it objectionable that Syd would respond in
>such a summary and negative fashion without inquiring further about
>possible ways to hook Elm and POPD together.
I guess I should have been more specific.  No one currently in
the elm development process considered it important enough to put
it on the wish list.  That users request is the first it has come up.

I'll admit, I was not aware, Dave, that you had done some work on that
topic.  As usual, all submissions of patches will be considered.

eckert@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Toerless Eckert) (11/27/89)

From article <1989Nov24.021808.26638@DSI.COM>, by syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein):
> taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>
> I guess I should have been more specific.  No one currently in
> the elm development process considered it important enough to put
> it on the wish list.  That users request is the first it has come up.

I am very positive _for_ pop support in elm. In fact i think it
is very useful and necessary. All those discless workstations we configured to
run "rsh sendmail" instead of sendmail and have some spooling
region mounted from some server made me believe that there must
be a better way to solve this ;-)

If you guys of the development team are so kind to implement it,
if enough poeple want it, why not start voting for or against pop ?
I think it's more important than any other new feature that someone
might invent. As a side effect it will make elm's mailbox access code
more portable and cleaner ;-)

Toerless Eckert X.400: <S=eckert;OU=informatik;P=uni-erlangen;A=dbp;C=de>
		RFC822: eckert@informatik.uni-erlangen.de
		UUCP:   {pyramid,unido}!fauern!eckert BITNET: tte@derrze0