[comp.mail.elm] Elm 2.2PL14: Inconsistency in recording Mail Sent

peter@na.excelan.com (Peter Tran) (12/07/89)

I am plagued by a "feature" of Elm 2.2 PL14 which I would be appreciative
if somebody from the net could help me with.

I have set my options so that a copy of outgoing mail is saved in a
folder called "sentmail". The problem is that Elm 2.2 is not consistent.
Sometimes it saves a copy, and sometimes it doesn't.

I have appended a copy of my "elmrc" file. Maybe that will help.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

======

#
# .elm/elmrc - options file for the ELM mail system
#
# Saved automatically by ELM 2.2 PL14 for Peter
#

# For yes/no settings with ?, ON means yes, OFF means no

calendar = /x/peter/calendar

editor = /usr/bin/uniplex

escape = ~

fullname = Peter Tran

receivedmail = =received

maildir = /x/peter/folders

pager = builtin

prefix = >_

print = lpr -Pps7

sentmail = /x/peter/folders/sentmail

shell = /bin/csh

localsignature =

remotesignature = /x/peter/.signature

sortby = Reverse-Received

alwaysdelete = ON

alwaysstore = OFF

alwayskeep = ON

arrow = ON

ask = ON

askcc = ON

autocopy = ON

bounceback = 0

copy = ON

forcename = OFF

forms = OFF

keepempty = OFF

keypad = OFF

menu = ON

movepage = ON

names = ON

noheader = ON

pointnew = ON

promptafter = ON

resolve = ON

savename = ON

softkeys = OFF

timeout = 600

titles = ON

userlevel = 1

warnings = ON

weed = OFF

weedout =  "*end-of-user-headers*"

--
Peter
Internet: peter@na.excelan.COM

indra@pepsi.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (12/12/89)

In article <849@excelan.COM> peter@na.excelan.com (Peter Tran) writes:
>I am plagued by a "feature" of Elm 2.2 PL14 which I would be appreciative
>if somebody from the net could help me with.
>
>I have set my options so that a copy of outgoing mail is saved in a
>folder called "sentmail". The problem is that Elm 2.2 is not consistent.
>Sometimes it saves a copy, and sometimes it doesn't.

I had the same question some time ago. If elm finds a folder for the
user you are sending mail to, it appends the sent mail in that folder
instead of the default indicated in your sentmail variable.  Outgoing mail
that can not be associated with a specific recepient folder is put in
the default sentmail folder.

Next time you see this happening, look in your folders directory for a
folder for the user whose outgoing mail you missed in the sentmail folder,
you'll find it there.

iNDRA | indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra Singhal) (408) 749-5445

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (12/13/89)

>>I am plagued by a "feature" of Elm 2.2 PL14 which I would be appreciative
>>if somebody from the net could help me with.
>>
>>I have set my options so that a copy of outgoing mail is saved in a
>>folder called "sentmail". The problem is that Elm 2.2 is not consistent.
>>Sometimes it saves a copy, and sometimes it doesn't.
> [reply discusses folder vs no folder]

I have a different problem. I don't have a handle on it yet, but
if I try to send mail to an address that is bogus, sometimes it
does not keep a copy in my outgoing file. This is a pain, as the
mailer spits it back with all kinds of headers attached that I
need to delete before remailing.

--
A host is a host & from coast to coast...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
no one will talk to a host that's close..............(305) 255-RTFM

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (12/14/89)

Another person wrote:
+I have a different problem. I don't have a handle on it yet, but
+if I try to send mail to an address that is bogus, sometimes it
+does not keep a copy in my outgoing file. This is a pain, as the
+mailer spits it back with all kinds of headers attached that I
+need to delete before remailing.

It would behoove elm users to RTMF :-) (mainly the reference guide)
about this. My memory might be faulty, but as I recall (I don't have
the most recent guide in front of me) there are three boolean options
of the elmrc that govern the saving of a copy of outbound messages.

If "copy" is off, no copy will be saved, else ...
If "savename" is off, the copy will be saved to your sentmail folder, else ...
If "forcename" is on, the copy will be saved to a folder named by the logname
	of the first recipient, else ...
If the logname-named folder already exists, it will be saved there, else to
your sentmail folder.

(Again, this is just my recollection; I may have gotten details wrong.)
--
Rob Bernardo      ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob -or- rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM
  Product engineer, UNIX/C Reusable Code Library        Editor, "Go `C' UNIX"