[comp.mail.elm] How about this rule for comp.mail.elm?

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (01/13/90)

No questions about outdated versions of elm.

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
All men are equal--all men,

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (01/14/90)

In article <1466@umigw.MIAMI.EDU> aem@Mthvax.CS.Miami.Edu writes:

>No questions about outdated versions of elm.

I disagree.  Sometimes people are unable to keep up with the
installation of recent versions, and the newsgroup is their only
recourse when problems arise.  Also, there is a considerable issue of
how the rule is to be enforced.  Since the group is not moderated, the
only possible means of enforcement would be flames to the posters of
inquiries about old versions.  Not only would this be rude, but very
inconsiderate of those in true need of help when making inquiries.

You should also consider volunteering to send the latest version by mail
to those without Internet access.  It is not given that everyone has
immediate access to the latest version.  -David-

>aem
>
>--
>a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
>All men are equal--all men,
>that is to say, who possess umbrellas. 	- E.M. Forster

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu   < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wugate!wubios!david         v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

kmcvay@oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) (01/14/90)

In article <991@wubios.wustl.edu>, david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
> I disagree.  Sometimes people are unable to keep up with the
> installation of recent versions, and the newsgroup is their only
>
> You should also consider volunteering to send the latest version by mail
> to those without Internet access.  It is not given that everyone has

Comments from the Peanut Gallery:

1. I, like many with fast boxes and the cash for SCO, am new to usenet
2. I am ignorant when it comes to programming - little did I know....
3. The version of elm sent to me by another new admin has NO patches
4. Until recently (a few months back) I had no idea that patches even
   EXISTED....in the dos world I came from, updates were distributed
   as compiled applications with higher version numbers.
5. Until my Blazer arrived (yesterday) I couldn't AFFORD to go after
   either a newer version or all the patches.

I have a problem with elm, but won't ask - I now understand how ancient it
is, and have requested the patches from my newsfeed....however, I would
be delighted if someone simply sent me the latest version (please don't,
we may flood the phone lines with elms) and set me right.

One of the things I've noticed in the net is the very real reluctance
of the "old pharts" out there to show much tolerance for us new kids...
Sure, we ask "old questions," because we don't have the bloody ANSWERS
yet, and don't know where to find them either. And yes, I understand it
can be both tedious and expensive to repeat all this stuff....I, unlike
many of you, pay through the nose for every message I read here - it's
all long distance from here.

At any rate folks, the net's going to double and redouble in the next
year or two, and it would be worthwhile to ask if we all re-examine
our attitudes about the folks around us who, while ignorant, are
excited and eager to learn.....how will you handle 5,000,000 elm
users, all new to the net and to the program within a 24-month period?

There seems (from where I sit) to be a lot of arrogance out there (no
insult to anyone here meant, intended, etc.) on the part of the folks
who've been in the net for any length.....maybe some newsgroups will
have to be split (a'la comp.unix.wizards) so all the "smart folks"
can indulge their intellects without being annoyed by us 49-year-old
,unlearned kiddies :-)

cheers/

--
1B Systems Management Ltd. | 4B - 2520 Bowen Road, Nanaimo, B.C. V9T 3L3
Kenneth McVay  | Voice: 604-758-7414 | Envoy: ken.mcvay | RCSA: 89:681/1

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (01/15/90)

In article <991@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:

>You should also consider volunteering to send the latest version by mail
>to those without Internet access.  It is not given that everyone has
>immediate access to the latest version.  -David-

Excuse me, I have. Besides being one of the listed archive sites for Elm
with patchs, I also have made elm available via a netlib server
from mthvax.cs.miami.edu

aem
--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
Sometimes you have to go above the written law.		- Fawn Hall