[comp.mail.elm] Bug with Patch 15??

davidm@nixtor.uucp (David Macklem) (01/16/90)

In the configuration that is running here, patch 15 causes local
addresses to have the @hostname tacked onto them. This means that local
addresses are now changed by elm from 'jsmith' to jsmith@nixtor'.

Unfortunately our sendmail can't handle this and returns with the nice
error message: "I refuse to talk to myself." (or some such thing).

I'd like to know if this is a problem with the sendmail config file
(and whether I should dust off the sendmail manuals) or whether this is
a problem with the latest patch.

We're running sendmail, smail and pathalias. (I can't believe that our
configuration is so different from anyone else's - so why isn't anybody
else mentioning this?)

For those in the know, the change that caused the problem is in
addr_util.c around line 345 - the USE_DOMAIN and INTERNET stuff. Our
configuration has INTERNET #define'd and USE_DOMAIN #undef'ed. This
change has been backed off here until further info.

Thanks.
--
David Macklem 				Nixdorf Computer Canada, Limited
davidm@nixtor				1131a Leslie Street, Toronto, Ontario

kim@kannel.lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (01/17/90)

David> In the configuration that is running here, patch 15 causes local
David> addresses to have the @hostname tacked onto them. This means that local
David> addresses are now changed by elm from 'jsmith' to jsmith@nixtor'.

Both are legal addresses.

David> Unfortunately our sendmail can't handle this and returns with the nice
David> error message: "I refuse to talk to myself." (or some such thing).

Your sendmail doesn't for some reason recognize itself and tries to get a
network connection to itself.  This results in a correct error message.

David> I'd like to know if this is a problem with the sendmail config file
David> (and whether I should dust off the sendmail manuals) or whether this is
David> a problem with the latest patch.

There's something wrong in your sendmail configuration.  Our sendmail (5.61
with IDA 1.2.8 or something) always adds the full domain name to all local
addresses.  The earlier version didn't do that, but it did handle addresses
like kim@kannel perfectly anyway.

Kim
--
 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
( Kimmo Suominen        ! Lappeenranta U of Technology ! kim@kannel.lut.fi )

mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) (01/19/90)

In article <ir51sh6l8@nixtor.uucp> davidm@nixtor.UUCP (David Macklem) writes:
>In the configuration that is running here, patch 15 causes local
>addresses to have the @hostname tacked onto them. This means that local
>addresses are now changed by elm from 'jsmith' to jsmith@nixtor'.

I do not mind this, but it also uses my remote signature for local mail,
which I find to be quite annoying.
--
Mark Benard
Department of Computer Science     INTERNET & BITNET: mb@cs.tulane.edu