[comp.mail.elm] Suggested feature

john@compugen.UUCP (John Beaudin) (02/02/90)

I have users who are interested in using the builtin editor when replying
to a msg. Can do?
--
-- my .signature is awaiting appropriate display technology --

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (02/05/90)

In article <2471@compugen.UUCP> john@compugen.UUCP (John Beaudin) writes:
+I have users who are interested in using the builtin editor when replying
+to a msg. Can do?

No. The builtin so-called editor is really an "appender". While you
can edit the line you're currently inputting (with ^W, erase and line kill)
once you hit <return>, that's it. The builtin editor has no facilities for
changing to a previously entered line and editing it. Therefore, it makes
no sense to apply it when replying to a message when the original message
is quoted.

--
Rob Bernardo     (415) 827-4301 (residence) B3 f+ t- dv sv m+ r+ p
				seeking     B2-24 f+/f t-/t cv dv s++ m++ e r+

john@compugen.UUCP (John Beaudin) (02/07/90)

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) writes:

>In article <2471@compugen.UUCP> john@compugen.UUCP (John Beaudin) writes:
>+I have users who are interested in using the builtin editor when replying
>+to a msg. Can do?

>No. The builtin so-called editor is really an "appender". While you
>can edit the line you're currently inputting (with ^W, erase and line kill)
>once you hit <return>, that's it. The builtin editor has no facilities for
>changing to a previously entered line and editing it. Therefore, it makes
>no sense to apply it when replying to a message when the original message
>is quoted.

My intention is to suggest a CHANGE to elm to allow the builtin editor to
be used when replying to a msg. There wouldn't be any requirement to edit
lines already typed in. The builtin-editor-created-lines would simply be
appended to the original msg. The original msg would be 'quoted' with '>'
or whatever, but would be unavailable for editing.
--
-- my .signature is awaiting appropriate display technology --