[comp.mail.elm] Problems with elm? or smail?

dt@mathcs.emory.edu (Dave Taylor {guest}) (02/23/90)

Help!!! - I'm desperate!!  I trying to trace a problem with my mail.  I recently
heard about elm2.2[PL16] and smail2.5.  I downloaded them and have been trying
to get them set up.  btw, thanks to all who have put so much time in making elm
such a first class product.

PROBLEM:  When sending email from inside elm it sends the mail and then a few
	seconds later it sends me the mail.  And here it is.

*************************** mail from mailer_daemon ****************************
>From om_mailer_daemon Thu Feb 22 10:54:13 1990
To: dt
Subject: mail problem

Trouble sending mail on `om',  Thu Feb 22 10:54:12 1990

============ Transcript follows ============

0 alias errors
No local user named ""
1 delivery errors
1 total errors

============== Message follows =============
Subject: This is a test from elm
To: emory!dt
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 10:54:10 EST
From: David Taylor <dt@om.UUCP>

This is the test from elm.

I don't know what to do.

Now when I use an unknown address it says local user "emory" not found because
emory is my smart-mailer.

&&&&&&&&&&&& Please note
If I use /usr/bin/mail (the old mailer) instead of mail, internet (uucp) addr-
esses do work, but arparent addresses "@" do not.  So with the test of two
addresses....emory!dt >>worked<< and dt@emory.math.edu didn't work

the later gave me the error message..

No local user named "dt@emory.math.edu"
Letter saved in "/u/dt/dead.letter" [New file]  13/191

CAN ANYONE TELL ME...IS THE PROBLEM IN ELM OR SMAIL???  DO YOU KNOW THE
SOLUTION??
Thanks in advance ...

Should I take this problem to the net??
Have a great day!!

				- David Taylor

Operation Moblization
PO Box 2277			...emory!om!dt
Peachtree City, GA  30269
(404) 631-0432

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (02/23/90)

You don't give me much to go on, (as you don't tell me
the operating system or computer, but it looks like
Elm is not using the proper argument format or arguments
for the MTA you have configured.  (MTA == mail transport
agent, in your case it should be smail 2.5)

I would look to see how either smail is delivering local mail
or how Elm is calling smail.  Elm and smail 2.5 normally
work together just fine.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

don@delta.uucp (Donald K. Irmiger) (02/25/90)

In article <5045@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> dt@emory.UUCP (Dave Taylor {guest}) writes:
>Help!!! - I'm desperate!!  ...
[problem detailed]

>				- David Taylor

What a minute!  Aren't you the guy that started elm in the first place? ;-)

BTW: sounds like smail trouble to me.

Donald K. Irmiger III                                  UUCP: uunet!delta!don
Data Systems Coordinator                               Altos 2086/Xenix 3.4b
Michiana Rehabilitation Institute's Data Systems Center