[comp.mail.elm] Cannot invoke editor emacs

kevin@cfctech.cfc.com (Kevin Darcy) (04/14/90)

In article <8700001@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gupta@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>> When replying to a mail, I quit emacs after having written my reply
>> and then I am told "cannot invoke editor emacs" or something like that
>> and whoops, elm is quit. I don;t find any trace of my reply, neither
>
>I have a similar problem with vi. It says 'cannot invoke editor /usr/ucb/vi'
>My message is then lost. Help!

Just for the record, this has also happened to me twice, /usr/bin/vi on
a AT&T 3B2/1000 Model 80, SysVr3.2.2

Looks like it's not OS- or editor-dependent. Elm 2.3t PL38.

P.S. Syd: The sorting/date-munging problem has not reappeared since I upgraded
          my patch level. Thanks.
kevin@cfctech.cfc.com 		    | Kevin Darcy, Unix Systems Administrator
...[mailrus!]sharkey!cfctech!kevin  | Technical Services (CFC)
Voice: (313) 948-4863 		    | Chrysler Corporation
Fax:   (313) 948-4975 		    | 27777 Franklin, Southfield, MI 48034

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (04/14/90)

kevin@cfctech.cfc.com (Kevin Darcy) writes:
>In article <8700001@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gupta@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>> When replying to a mail, I quit emacs after having written my reply
>>> and then I am told "cannot invoke editor emacs" or something like that
>>> and whoops, elm is quit. I don;t find any trace of my reply, neither
>>
>>I have a similar problem with vi. It says 'cannot invoke editor /usr/ucb/vi'
>>My message is then lost. Help!
In Elm 2.2 there are two problems that can cause this...
1.  Hitting an interrupt character while in the editor causes the
shell to return an error code.

2.  Your editor returns an error code if somewhere during the edit
a command failed.

Item 1 has been a problem throughout Elm 2.2 and has been corrected
by Elm 2.3.

Item 2 is a problem with the editor and the standard workaround is to
put the editor in a 'shell wrapper' that returns 0, as in:

EDITOR=myeditor

myeditor:
vi $*
exit 0

>Just for the record, this has also happened to me twice, /usr/bin/vi on
>a AT&T 3B2/1000 Model 80, SysVr3.2.2

>Looks like it's not OS- or editor-dependent. Elm 2.3t PL38.
This is not the place to discuss Elm 2.3 beta test issues.  Elm 2.3
will be released about 5/1/90.  It is in beta test, and the beta
changes rapidly (ask any of the beta people about the patch rate).
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or bpa!dsinc!syd                    FAX:   (215) 938-0235