[comp.mail.elm] ELM 2.3 Filter via .Forward problem

graham@netwrx1.UUCP (Jim Graham) (05/30/90)

I recently posted an ELM problem I was experiencing to the group. The problem
is on our AT&T 3B2/400 running SVR3.2 and WIN/3B Ver 3.0. When the filter
program is attempted to be invoked by sendmail via the .forward file, an
error message is returned to the originator. No errors are produced with
respect to the filter program (it is never called from sendmail).

I was informed by readers of this news group that my filter entry in my
.forward file was lacking quotes. Well I changed it and tried again and I
received the same error. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Could my sendmail.cf configuration cause this problem?

I have attached my .forward file entry along with the error message which
is returned when mail is sent to the user with the .forward file.

/usr2/amhs/.forward:

"| /usr/local/bin/filter -vo /usr2/amhs/.filter-errors"

Error message returned to the sender:

From graham Wed May 23 15:01 EDT 1990
Date: Wed, 23 May 90 15:00:58 EDT
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON>
Full-Name: Mail Delivery Subsystem
Subject: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 1
To: graham

ED: is not an identifier
554 "| /usr/local/bin/filter -vo /usr2/amhs/.filter-errors"... unknown mailer error 1