[comp.mail.elm] elm 2.2 pl16 gets wrong To: address

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (06/04/90)

I am running an archive server system and i get a lot of mail from
all over the world, for some reason elm is pulling out an incorrect
To: address from the following mail message;

From rex!brownm@hamlet.local Wed May 30 19:25:49 1990
From: rex!brownm@hamlet.acc.uncg.edu (Michael L. Brown)
To: archive%mgse@rex.cs.tulane.edu
Date: Tue, 29 May 90 11:20:30 EDT

[ message body deleted ]

When I went to reply to it, it says the To: line is
"rex!brownm@hamlet.local (Michael L. Brown)" it is getting the mail
address from the From_ line, and the name from the From: line. Do
I have elm configured wrong or what?

It sure would be nice to be able to do a mass reply to a number of tagged
articles. I know this was discussed be for, and i stopped following that
thread when the general consensus was that is was a horrible awful thing
to do. Right now i tag the articles, save them to a file, and them use
the system mail command to do the mass reply. Is there a better way?

Thanks, Mark.
--
Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex.cs.tulane.edu!mgse!marks or rex!mgse!marks

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (06/04/90)

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
:I am running an archive server system and i get a lot of mail from
:all over the world, for some reason elm is pulling out an incorrect
:To: address from the following mail message;

:----------------------------------------------------------------------
:From rex!brownm@hamlet.local Wed May 30 19:25:49 1990
:From: rex!brownm@hamlet.acc.uncg.edu (Michael L. Brown)
:To: archive%mgse@rex.cs.tulane.edu

:[ message body deleted ]
:----------------------------------------------------------------------

:When I went to reply to it, it says the To: line is
:"rex!brownm@hamlet.local (Michael L. Brown)" it is getting the mail
:address from the From_ line, and the name from the From: line. Do
:I have elm configured wrong or what?

Depending on how Elm is configured whether or not it will believe
the From: lines.  If you configure Elm to use the Reply-To: and
From: lines it will beleive them.  If you configure it not to,
it will use the From line.  However, something is wrong with your
MTA if the From line is not a proper address.  The From line should
always work, just perhaps not be optimal.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235