[comp.mail.elm] Elm 2.3 bug

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) (05/30/90)

I've had this happen to me several times since I installed 2.3,
but it's just now starting to get annoying.  This is on a 3B2
running System V 3.2.

It seem to happen when I'm already in elm, and new mail arrives.

This is what the screen looks like at the bottom:

--

Command:
Reading message: 2

Write to temp file failed, exiting leaving mailbox intact!

$
--

-greg

syd@dsinc.DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (06/02/90)

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) writes:
:I've had this happen to me several times since I installed 2.3,
:but it's just now starting to get annoying.  This is on a 3B2
:running System V 3.2.

:It seem to happen when I'm already in elm, and new mail arrives.

:This is what the screen looks like at the bottom:

:--

:Command:
:Reading message: 2
:newmbox - length of mbox. != spool mailbox length!!

:Write to temp file failed, exiting leaving mailbox intact!

:$
In general, receiving mail while in Elm is an every day occurrence
for me, so there is no general bug there.  However, there is a check
for file write errors that checks the spool length and the temp file
length after a copy to see if they match.  If you ran out of temp
space they wouldn't...  Are you running out of temp space,
in which case, this is a legimite error message.

Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) (06/04/90)

In article <1990Jun2.031938.26010@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) writes:
>
>:Command:
>:Reading message: 2
>:newmbox - length of mbox. != spool mailbox length!!
>
>:Write to temp file failed, exiting leaving mailbox intact!
>

>In general, receiving mail while in Elm is an every day occurrence
>for me, so there is no general bug there.  However, there is a check
>for file write errors that checks the spool length and the temp file
>length after a copy to see if they match.  If you ran out of temp
>space they wouldn't...  Are you running out of temp space,
>in which case, this is a legimite error message.

Yes, it is an everyday occurance.  This doesn't happen all the time.
It's only happened about 3 or 4 times to me since I installed 2.3
here about a week ago.  I don't know if it's happened to any of
my users; none of them have complained.

I really don't think it's a problem of running out of space.  But,,
how much space can it need?  I was reading may 20K of mail, but I
had a couple meg available in temp, and about 15 meg in /usr/tmp.

-greg

--
Gregory A. Gulik					Call Gagme, a public
	greg@gagme.chi.il.us  ||  ...!gagme!greg	access UNIX system at

In article <399@gagme.chi.il.us> greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) writes:

>I've had this happen to me several times since I installed 2.3,
>but it's just now starting to get annoying.  This is on a 3B2
>running System V 3.2.

>It seem to happen when I'm already in elm, and new mail arrives.

>Reading message: 2
>newmbox - length of mbox. != spool mailbox length!!
>Write to temp file failed, exiting leaving mailbox intact!

This will also happen if your mailbox happens to have any null characters
embedded in it (and yes, mailers do exist that know how to attach and
detach binary files so it may not be an error to have null characters
in the mailbox).
This is a side effect of comparing the length obtained from stat()ing
the spool mail file with a length obtained by fgets()/strlen() during
the copy to the tmp file.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us