[comp.mail.elm] Wish Listing

anderson@udder.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (06/02/90)

As long as we're listing wishes, I'd love to see a way
to use Elm as my mailer from within rn (by setting rn's
MAILPOSTER variable) rather than having to live with
Rnmail.  I realize this is a chore, but it would be a
worthwhile one, I think, especially since Elm is so
great for keeping one's outgoing mail in a tidy place.

--
==Jess Anderson===Academic Computing Center=====Univ. Wisconsin-Madison=====
| Work: Rm. 2160, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706, Ph. 608/263-6988 |

lauther@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Ulrich Lauther) (06/05/90)

In article <3747@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> anderson@udder.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:

>As long as we're listing wishes, I'd love to see a way
>to use Elm as my mailer from within rn (by setting rn's
>MAILPOSTER variable) rather than having to live with
>Rnmail.  I realize this is a chore, but it would be a
>worthwhile one, I think, especially since Elm is so
>great for keeping one's outgoing mail in a tidy place.

An easy way to do this is a simple shell script, such as:
(may need some adjustment to your environment)

---------------- snip -----------------------------------

# Bourne/Korn-Shell script for using ELM to respond by mail from rn
# Is called from rn with copy of article in file $1
# To achieve this, he environment variable MAILPOSTER should
# contain "<this file> %h"
#
# The basic idea is to create a temporary folder containing the message to
# be replied to
#
# Author: Ulrich Lauther
# standard disclaimers apply

folder=/tmp/fo$$
save=/tmp/rc$$

cp $HOME/.elm/elmrc $save		# save elmrc
echo 'prefix = __' >> $HOME/.elm/elmrc	# change prefix definition

# create folder containing message, bogus date
sed -e '1s/To:/From/
	1s/$/ Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1900/' $1 > $folder
$HOME/.elm/bin/elm -f $folder    	# invoke elm
stty echo				# bug fix for elm
rm $folder
mv $save $HOME/.elm/elmrc		# restore elmrc

Ulrich Lauther               Internet: lauther@janus.berkeley.edu
Siemens / UCB                ph: +1 415 642 3338 fax: 642 2739
				 +1 415 658 8529 home