[comp.mail.elm] another wanna

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (06/03/90)

I'd really like to have the view option 'nn' just got, and the
speel^H^Hll check one, too.

I also would like to be able to use filter to:
look at an incoming return receipt, figure out it is from jrb, and file
it in jrb's folder. This would involve teaching it about aliases, I
suspect.

Instead of asking to move read articles into the ">" file, I wish elm
could move them into the proper folders {if they exist}.  Those
stateless persons without folders could be filed in the ">"

I do however acknowledge, that those folks who understand how to
write code work really hard on elm. I hope they will NOT take
these requests as gripes.
--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (06/03/90)

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) writes:
>I also would like to be able to use filter to:
>look at an incoming return receipt, figure out it is from jrb, and file
>it in jrb's folder. This would involve teaching it about aliases, I
>suspect.

You might consider taking a look at Chip Salzenberg's "filter" program.
You can use it to disposition your incoming mail any way you'd like.
Since it uses an executable program (most usually just a shell or perl
script) to direct the processing, you can make it as outrageously complex
as you please.  Osu-cis (or something like tut.cis.ohio-state.edu for the
ftp minded) is the official repository for the latest and greatest version.

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (06/04/90)

[ Followups to comp.mail.misc ]

According to chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal):
>You might consider taking a look at Chip Salzenberg's "filter" program.

"Take it away, Chip."  "Thanks, Chip."  "You're welcome, Chip."

Actually, Chip R. here refers to my program called Deliver, not
filter.  The current version is 2.0 Patchlevel 11.  You can get PL9
from osu-cis (tut.cis.ohio-state.edu) or from alfred.  I'll be sending
up-to-date copies of Deliver to these sites Real Soon Now.  In the
meantime, if you need them, just ask.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (06/05/90)

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>You might consider taking a look at Chip Salzenberg's "filter" program.

Gack!!!  I meant "deliver".  Sorry, Chip.

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean
Unicom Systems Development, 512-482-8260  |  up my reputation.  -John Hiatt

clay@uci.mn.org (Clayton Haapala) (06/06/90)

I usually have my mailboxes sorted in reverse of received date (latest first).
For some mailboxes, I'd like to have them sorted in another order.  Any way
to do this automatically in Elm 2.3 without going to the "options" menu?

A method of doing this for select mail folders would be to begin the folder
with a pseudo-message that has an X- line with the sorting preference stated.
This message should be a perfectly legal message, but has a line that Elm
recognizes, just like the "Urgent" and "Expires" lines.

Waddya think?
--
Clayton Haapala                ...!bungia!uci!clay (clay@uci.com)
Unified Communications Inc.    "Every morning I get in the Queue.