[comp.mail.elm] Elm revision 64.9 ???

upl@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Undergrad Projects Lab) (06/29/90)

I was reading comp.mail.uucp and I found the following article.  It describes
someone's difficulties with uucp host name lengths.  He includes a sample
session from his distribution.  But look what's in the sample...

In article <5174@plains.UUCP> lodin@plains.NoDak.edu (Joe Schmo) writes:
>System: HP-UX 7.0 B 9000/360
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Mailer: Elm [revision: 64.9]
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(This was taken from the header section of the sample mail that he had.)

What is Elm [revision: 64.9] ?!?!?!?!?!?  I've seen this on some mail that
I've recieved.  What's interesting about the situation is that it came from
a system running HP-UX 7.0 as well.  In fact it was an HP 9000/360, too!

What's the scoop here?

Thanks
- sparkie
P.S.	Please reply to:
		harier!sparkie@cs.wisc.edu
	and not to this account.

okamoto@hpccc.HP.COM (Jeff Okamoto) (06/30/90)

upl@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Undergrad Projects Lab) asks:

> What is Elm [revision: 64.9] ?!?!?!?!?!?  I've seen this on some
> mail that I've recieved.  What's interesting about the situation
> is that it came from a system running HP-UX 7.0 as well.  In fact
> it was an HP 9000/360, too!

Revision 64.9 is the version of Elm that comes with HP-UX 7.0.
--
Jeff Okamoto
HP Corporate Computing and Services

peterm@hpdtl.HP.COM (Peter Maxwell) (06/30/90)

Elm 64.9 is HP's distributed version of Elm.  It comes supported with the
7.0 version of HP-UX.  I don't know the history behind the 64.9.

	Peter

chance@hpfcso.HP.COM (Chance Brohm) (06/30/90)

HP-UX 7.0 comes with a "productized" version of Elm, currently at revision
64.9 (that is, it's the version supplied with HP-UX 7.0). It's similar in
most ways to "real" Elm 2.2, with some minor changes.

Hope this helps!
 -Chance
========
Chance Brohm
Hewlett-Packard Company
Fort Collins Site Information Technology
UUCP:  hpfcla!chance
Net:   chance@hpfcla.fc.hp.com
========

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (06/30/90)

In <4948@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> upl@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Undergrad Projects Lab) writes:

>But look what's in the sample...

>In article <5174@plains.UUCP> lodin@plains.NoDak.edu (Joe Schmo) writes:
>>System: HP-UX 7.0 B 9000/360
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>Mailer: Elm [revision: 64.9]
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>(This was taken from the header section of the sample mail that he had.)

>What is Elm [revision: 64.9] ?!?!?!?!?!?

I believe HP, for whom the original elm author (Dave Taylor) worked at
the time he wrote elm, is maintaining/developing its own elm independently
and distributing it as part of HP-UX.
--
UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (07/01/90)

chance@hpfcso.HP.COM (Chance Brohm) writes:
>HP-UX 7.0 comes with a "productized" version of Elm, currently at revision
>64.9 (that is, it's the version supplied with HP-UX 7.0). It's similar in
>most ways to "real" Elm 2.2, with some minor changes.
Close, but no cigar...
Elm 64.9 is HP's version of elm for HP-UX 7.0 that they productized
from the version 2.0 of Elm.  Its closest to Usenet Elm 2.1,
and the differences are widening.  Usenet Elm 2.2 is different
and 2.3 and 2.4 are widening that gap.  I don't know HP's
plans for future enhancements to their version.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235