[comp.mail.elm] Problem compiling ELM 2.3 - same error using two compilers

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (07/02/90)

	I've recently attempted to port the latest elm to two systems:
one runs Interactive Systems 386/ix 2.0.2 compiler, one is a Computer Consoles
(CCI) 6/32 MP running a hybrid System V. Using the same source in both cases.
The Configure script tells me that all the files are present, yet....

	When I compile, I encounter a series of error messages referencing
structure elements, such as the following from the FIRST source file:

	"addr_util.c", line 226: name undefined
	"addr_util.c", line 226: member of structure or union required
	"addr_util.c", line 229: next undefined
	"addr_util.c", line 229: member of structure or union required
			       :
	"addr_util.c", line 490: undefined structure
	"addr_util.c", line 501: year undefined
	"addr_util.c", line 501: member of structure or union required
	"addr_util.c", line 501: unknown size
	"addr_util.c", line 501: value of void expression used

	Files in which such structures are not referenced compile fine.
Is some file missing that Configure didn't catch? Anyone have ideas? Thanks.

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (07/04/90)

In <94@raysnec.UUCP> shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:

>	I've recently attempted to port the latest elm to two systems:
>one runs Interactive Systems 386/ix 2.0.2 compiler, one is a Computer Consoles
>(CCI) 6/32 MP running a hybrid System V. Using the same source in both cases.
>The Configure script tells me that all the files are present, yet....
>
>	When I compile, I encounter a series of error messages referencing
>structure elements, such as the following from the FIRST source file:
>
>	"addr_util.c", line 226: name undefined
>	"addr_util.c", line 226: member of structure or union required
>
>	Files in which such structures are not referenced compile fine.
>Is some file missing that Configure didn't catch? Anyone have ideas? Thanks.

	I had some fun with getting Elm2.3 to compile on ISC 2.0.2, but
it was (I think) the usual problem in the curses definition of depending
on the definition of the TCIOWINSZ (or something like that) to imply
that there is windowing support on the machine.  In System V/386 R3.2
this particular ioctl is always defined, but the corresponding structure
isn't.
	Other than this, I had no trouble with Elm 2.3 on ISC 2.0.2.
(On the other hand - I have an interesting bug in 2.2.16 on the 88000 at
the office with an EINVAL error on the utime calls in leavembox!  I
still haven't tried 2.3 on the 88K yet.)

	The particular structures that you are having trouble with are
defined in the hdrs/defs.h and other files in the hdrs/ directory.  I
would suspect that you missed something in the Configure and the
Makefile isn't including the stuff properly from the hdrs/ directory.
--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]