[comp.mail.elm] Elm 2.2

bronson@m6.Multiflow.COM (Tan Bronson) (04/19/89)

Newsgroups: comp.mail.elm
Subject: questions about 2.2
Expires:
    The installation on our 4.3BSD system was easy, and except for
a few fonts we did not have for the documentation, elm2.2 seems to be working.

    - I to would like to see a means to have 'q' mean 'Q'. I've trained my
    fingers to use it the old way. If the always* flags are set then
    why bother? (when I port 2.2 to my home '386 xenix machine, my fingers
    will start to learn, but they do hate shift keys!...)

    - I run on the Multiflow Trace UNIX (4.3BSD) rlogin'ed from
    a sun with TERM=sun and a screen size of 36 rows and 81 columns,
    and frequently the `builtin+' pager hides the last lines of a
    message from me. This seems to be a bug where scrolling should be
    taking place,, but is not.

    - Why do I now see who the mail was send to instead of who
    the mail was sent from if the mail was send from elm2.2 ?
    Here's what my display looks like:
->   2   Apr 18 Brad Reger         (44)   load releases
     3   Apr 18 To ryland          (34)   JOD's request ....

    and here is why `h' tells me:

From reger Tue Apr 18 14:52:09 1989
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 89 14:51:24 EDT
From: reger (Brad Reger)
Subject: load releases

From bronson Tue Apr 18 11:54:24 1989
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 89 11:53:44 EDT
From: bronson (Tan Bronson)
To: ryland
Subject: JOD's request ....
Cc: bronson

    does the order of the subject line break elm ?
    why does elm displaying who the mail is sent to instead who
is the mail is from (like 1.7 used to)

    - is there anyway to tell elm to include all headers in a message
for a single message? 99% of the time I'd like to ignore those headers,
but the 1% of the time I'm chasing out a mailer problem, I have to either
cut and paste with my sun or (gag) use mail/mailx!

    I've been using elm for over a year now, and I like it. I spend
a large part of my day reading/sending mail, and it's made my life
much easier.
    keep up the good work!
Tan Bronson
Multiflow Computer Inc  UUCP(work): {yale,uunet}!mfci!bronson
175 N Main St 		UUCP(home): {yale,mfci}!bronson!tan
Branford, Ct 06405	Phone(work):(203)-488-6090

rob@PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (04/19/89)

In article <791@m3.mfci.UUCP> bronson@mfci.UUCP () writes:
+    - Why do I now see who the mail was send to instead of who
+    the mail was sent from if the mail was send from elm2.2 ?
+    Here's what my display looks like:

Not exactly. If the mail is from you, then elm shows who it is to,
for greater informativeness. It has nothing to do with whether the
mail was sent from elm2.2.

+    - is there anyway to tell elm to include all headers in a message
+for a single message? 99% of the time I'd like to ignore those headers,
+but the 1% of the time I'm chasing out a mailer problem, I have to either
+cut and paste with my sun or (gag) use mail/mailx!

Use the 'h' command to display the message. If you are talking including
headers when replying to a message, no, this cannot be changed on the fly.
I think there is an elmrc option that governs this.
--
Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell UNIX/C Reusable Code Library
Email:     ...![backbone]!pacbell!pbhyf!rob   OR  rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

odt@ctt.bellcore.com (Dan Transue) (07/04/90)

We just (finally) upgraded th Elm 2.2 PL16 from a very old
Elm 1.7beta.  The reason for the upgrade was the the old copy
kept trashing mail boxes at the rate of about one every week
and a half.  Sinc 7/1 when we upgraded to the new copy, we have
had about a dozen requests (plus some interesting comments) for
user's mailboxes to be restored.

Can anyone tell me what we are doing wrong?  I can't get rid of
the program as the users who use it like it a lot.  Here's the
details:

         Running on a Pyramid 9820 running OSx 5.0c.  Elm
         and it's utilities were compiled under this release
         under the ucb universe.  All mail access is done
         locally although this file system is exported to
         over a hundred Sun Workstations where ELM is not
         used but others such as mush, mh, mailtool, and
         plain mail are.

If I've left anything out, please let me know and I'll 'fess up
or go find out.

Thanks in advance.

-dan
--
Dan Transue                    |INTERNET:       odt@ctt.bellcore.com
Bellcore                       |UUCP:           bellcore!ctt!odt

peterm@hpdtl.HP.COM (Peter Maxwell) (07/06/90)

Good luck!  Several people here used to have that problem, too, and we're
running HP-UX on HP platforms.  It seemed to give problems when the mailbox
was being rewritten at the same time as mail was incoming.  People with
large mailboxes were particularly prone.  I tried piping all mail through
the "filter" program in Elm which seemed to help.

I don't know if Elm 2.3 has fixed the problem or not.  If I hear my disk
chattering, it's usually due to mail coming in and I avoid doing a "q" from
Elm.  I haven't had the guts yet to deliberately try to cause a clash.

	Peter