[comp.mail.elm] Commas In Address - Question

dickson@escob1.UUCP (Dave Dickson) (07/08/90)

Some of our machines are forced to send mail through a brain
damaged mail gateway belonging to Ameritech.  I think it feeds a
DEC "ALL-IN-ONE" system, that requires strange addressing.

The problem is mail has to be addressed as
machine!lastname,firstname.  As you can imagine, the comma
between lastname and firstname causes elm to fail; producing
'firstname' "is an unknown address ...."  failure.

My question is: has anyone modified the elm source to allow
commas in the USER field of addresses?  I have looked at the
source code and it looks like it would not be easy to do.
--
David G. Dickson
Ohio Bell Telephone Co. (614-223-8134)

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (07/08/90)

dickson@escob1.UUCP (Dave Dickson) writes:
:The problem is mail has to be addressed as
:machine!lastname,firstname.  As you can imagine, the comma
:between lastname and firstname causes elm to fail; producing
:'firstname' "is an unknown address ...."  failure.

:My question is: has anyone modified the elm source to allow
:commas in the USER field of addresses?  I have looked at the
:source code and it looks like it would not be easy to do.
One of the features on the drawing board for 2.4 is to allow
the "" form of addressing and to allow escape chars in the addresses.

I hope those do make it into 2.4, but again 2.4 is a year away.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

In article <1341@escob1.UUCP> dickson@escob1.UUCP (Dave Dickson) writes:
> The problem is mail has to be addressed as
> machine!lastname,firstname.  As you can imagine, the comma
> between lastname and firstname causes elm to fail; producing
> 'firstname' "is an unknown address ...."  failure.

I have a similar problem with machines that use "machine%user" instead of
"user%machine". I use smail, and have it run every delivery through a
shell script that munges the address for the system I'm talking to. In this
case, you could mail to machine!lastname.firstname and have it change the
period to a comma (this is what the Compuserve gateway does). If you can't
munge the mailer, you could modify elm to pass through an appropriate filter
which looks for mail to "machine" and does the conversion.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.