[comp.mail.elm] local adress problem`

iacovou@cs.umn.edu (Danny Iacovou) (07/10/90)

we are using elm 2.3 pl3.  when we reply to mail that came from a
local user for some reason we get the entire adress of the user
meaning username@host.domain. we whant jut username to show up.
this is not a big problem but it looks bad. any suggestions?
thanks.
--

neophytos iacovou
university of minnesota                      email:  iacovou@cs.umn.edu

wilson@issun3.stc.nl (Tony Wilson) (07/10/90)

In <1990Jul10.000213.4942@cs.umn.edu> iacovou@cs.umn.edu (Danny Iacovou) writes:

>we are using elm 2.3 pl3.  when we reply to mail that came from a
>local user for some reason we get the entire adress of the user
>meaning username@host.domain. we whant jut username to show up.
>this is not a big problem but it looks bad. any suggestions?
>thanks.
>--

Exactly the same thing is happening here, but, I assumed that I had
set Elm up wrong.  I was going to look at it soon, but if it is a
known problem ...  If it helps, I think it only started happening
after either patch 3 or patch 4.

--
Tony Wilson (News Administrator)                 wilson@issun3.stc.nl,  or
SHAPE Technical Centre, The Hague, NL            ...!hp4nl!shapetc!wilson

tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tim Chown) (07/10/90)

In <1990Jul10.000213.4942@cs.umn.edu> iacovou@cs.umn.edu (Danny Iacovou) writes:

>we are using elm 2.3 pl3.  when we reply to mail that came from a
>local user for some reason we get the entire adress of the user
>meaning username@host.domain. we whant jut username to show up.
>this is not a big problem but it looks bad. any suggestions?
>thanks.

This was discussed on comp.mail.elm recently.

To sidestep the problem, comment out the #ifdef INTERNET ... #endif
on lines 341-346 in src/returnadd.c.

BE WARNED this will cause problems if your users select elm aliases
that clash with usernames - it seems mail will be expanded to the
alias name rather than going to the local user.

Cheers,
	Tim.

iacovou@cs.umn.edu (Danny Iacovou) (07/11/90)

wilson@issun3.stc.nl (Tony Wilson) writes:

>Exactly the same thing is happening here, but, I assumed that I had
>set Elm up wrong.  I was going to look at it soon, but if it is a
>known problem ...  If it helps, I think it only started happening
>after either patch 3 or patch 4.

 yep. over here it started after elm patch level 3
 anyone else with this 'problem'?

--

irv@happym.wa.com (Irving Wolfe) (07/11/90)

In <1990Jul10.060717.29280@issun3.stc.nl> wilson@issun3.stc.nl (Tony Wilson) writes:

>If it helps, I think it only started happening
>after either patch 3 or patch 4.

No, I only have patch 1 installed because I've not been able to get hold of
patch 2 (and 3 & 4 are waiting for it), and we have the same problem.
--
 Irving Wolfe    Happy Man Corp.   irv@happym.wa.com    206/463-9399 ext.101
 SOLID VALUE, the investment letter for Benj. Graham's intelligent investors

tim@comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) (07/12/90)

In article <1990Jul10.000213.4942@cs.umn.edu>, iacovou@cs.umn.edu (Danny Iacovou) writes:

> we are using elm 2.3 pl3.  when we reply to mail that came from a
> local user for some reason we get the entire adress of the user
> meaning username@host.domain. we whant jut username to show up.
> this is not a big problem but it looks bad. any suggestions?
> thanks.
> --
On my system when this happens, sendmail is refusing to deal with it
saying it is a bad user.  Any ideas what I should fix?

Tim Brown
nstar!comcon!tim

mark@DRD.Com (Mark Lawrence) (07/13/90)

tim@comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) wrote:
} On my system when this happens, sendmail is refusing to deal with it
} saying it is a bad user.  Any ideas what I should fix?

On our system, all mailboxes resolved to user@mailhost and mail is
delivered there.  When a user, who happens to be logged into mailhost,
reads his mail from another local user and tries to reply, the MTA
(sendmail) connects to itself and says HELO DRD.Com and immediately
errors out with a hostname configuration error.

I'm sure I could fix this in the sendmail.cf if I wanted to slog through
the damn thing and re-learn it all over again, but I found an easier fix
by doing the following in config.sh in the toplevel directory of my elm
distribution:

mydomain=''

I'll leave it to my MTA to paste the correct domain onto outgoing mail,
thank you.