[comp.mail.elm] Ability to Edit Received Messages

irv@happym.wa.com (Irving Wolfe) (07/12/90)

As near as I can figure out, elm doesn't support editing received messages.  I
often wish to remove parts of messages before saving them, or, in the case of
messages received from co-workers here, to add notes to myself on how to deal
with whatever.

Is support for this -- like the "ed" or "vi" commands to the program mail --
actually there?

If not, would other users also like to see it?  I imagine it would be pretty
easy to implement.
--
 Irving Wolfe    Happy Man Corp.   irv@happym.wa.com    206/463-9399 ext.101
 SOLID VALUE, the investment letter for Benj. Graham's intelligent investors

rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) (07/13/90)

In article <8@happym.wa.com>, irv@happym.wa.com (Irving Wolfe) writes:
|> As near as I can figure out, elm doesn't support editing received
messages.  I
|> often wish to remove parts of messages before saving them, or, in the
case of
|> messages received from co-workers here, to add notes to myself on how
to deal
|> with whatever.
|>
|> Is support for this -- like the "ed" or "vi" commands to the program mail --
|> actually there?
|>
|> If not, would other users also like to see it?  I imagine it would be pretty
|> easy to implement.

What if you just set your pager to vi?  I was contemplating this myself,
but haven't done it yet.  Does anyone have a good reason why this would
be a bad idea?

Robert

| Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
| rhoward@msd.gatech.edu       |    MATD Laboratory                     |
| (404) 528-7165               |    Atlanta, Georgia  30332             |
|     UUCP:   ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!msd!rhoward        |

lauther@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Ulrich Lauther) (07/13/90)

In article <11296@hydra.gatech.EDU> rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) writes:
>In article <8@happym.wa.com>, irv@happym.wa.com (Irving Wolfe) writes:
>|> As near as I can figure out, elm doesn't support editing received
>messages.  I
[stuff deleted]

>What if you just set your pager to vi?  I was contemplating this myself,
>but haven't done it yet.  Does anyone have a good reason why this would
>be a bad idea?

Or, you just forward the message to yourself; then you are asked if you
want to edit it.

Ulrich Lauther               Internet: lauther@janus.berkeley.edu
Siemens / UCB                ph: +1 415 642 3338 fax: 642 2739
				 +1 415 658 8529 home

tim@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Tim Nelson) (07/13/90)

In article <8@happym.wa.com> irv@happym.wa.com (Irving Wolfe) writes:
>As near as I can figure out, elm doesn't support editing received messages.  I
>often wish to remove parts of messages before saving them, or, in the case of
>messages received from co-workers here, to add notes to myself on how to deal
>with whatever.
>
>Is support for this -- like the "ed" or "vi" commands to the program mail --
>actually there?
>
>If not, would other users also like to see it?  I imagine it would be pretty
>easy to implement.

This is something that I have been meaning to ask about also.
I want to edit the incomming files, but currently I have to edit
the mail box to add my own comments.

So, yes I would like to see it happen.

                       =====
tim nelson       | uucp        ...!uunet!attcan!ncrcan!tim
ncr canada       | internet     Tim.Nelson@Toronto.NCR.COM
(416) 826-9000   | 6865 Century Ave, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5N 2E2
                       =====
* Have a good day, and a great forever!                    * What?

rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) (07/13/90)

In article <11296@hydra.gatech.EDU> rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) writes:
>What if you just set your pager to vi?  I was contemplating this myself,
>but haven't done it yet.  Does anyone have a good reason why this would
>be a bad idea?

Tell me this is a joke.

First off, I believe elm pipes the message to the pager.  But even if it
created a temp file whose name was an argument in the exec of the pager,
using vi as your pager, all you'd wind up doing is editing a temp file,
not a segment of your mail folder (file).
--
Rob Bernardo, Mt. Diablo Software Solutions
email: rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US

das@trac2000.UUCP (David Snyder) (07/13/90)

In article <8@happym.wa.com>, irv@happym.wa.com (Irving Wolfe) writes:
> As near as I can figure out, elm doesn't support editing received messages.  I
> often wish to remove parts of messages before saving them, or, in the case of
> messages received from co-workers here, to add notes to myself on how to deal
> with whatever.

It sure does!  The 'e' option off the elm menu will edit the mailbox.  The only
problem, that option can be turned ON or OFF at compile time.

DAS
--
David A. Snyder                            UUCP:  ...!uunet!cbmvax!trac2000!das

About the time we think we can make ends meet, somebody moves the ends.          -- Herbert Hoover

gulik@motcid.UUCP (Gregory Gulik) (07/14/90)

In article <8@happym.wa.com> irv@happym.wa.com (Irving Wolfe) writes:
>As near as I can figure out, elm doesn't support editing received messages.  I
>often wish to remove parts of messages before saving them, or, in the case of
>messages received from co-workers here, to add notes to myself on how to deal
>with whatever.
>
>Is support for this -- like the "ed" or "vi" commands to the program mail --
>actually there?
>
>If not, would other users also like to see it?  I imagine it would be pretty
>easy to implement.

I sometimes edit messages before I save them too.  What you
want to do is make sure Elm has been configured to include
the E)dit command.  When you read your mail, delete or save
everything but the message you want to change, resynchronize
with the '$' command, then hit 'E' to enter vi with that mail
message.

I often do this when I receive an automated reply from
another system, and I want to put something about the
contents on the Subject: line.

-greg

Gregory A. Gulik
	uunet!motcid!gulik  ||  greg@gagme.chi.il.us