[comp.mail.elm] Alias, clumsy or not?

shire@csuchico.edu (Charles W Hooks) (07/15/90)

	I curious as to how many people thing that the way elm handles alias
is clumsy.  I've been involved with Chico State's local ACM club for a couple
of semsters now.  Every so often I find it necessary to get a message to all
our members, the easiest way is to create an alias that contains all the logins
of our members.  The problem is that we gain and lose members every semster for
various reasons.  If I want to change an alias for mailx I edit the file and
remove or add the login as the case may be.  But with elm I have to create a
whole new alias(or redo) and with 30-50 logins that can be a REAL pain.  I
would love to see a change in elm to support the modification of aliases.
I'd also would like to have elm accept any charater as part of the login,
such as % so that I can use members who are at another site to our mailing
list.  This is the only reason I use mailx though, for all other purposes
elm is the better mailer!!

  Charles W. Hooks   |            \      _      /
         aka         |             \   /^ ^\   /                     F-14D
(shire@csuchico.edu) |  ____________\_(  .  )_/____________      SUPERTOMCATS
  California State   |       --*/--|_| (___) |_|--\*--               RULE
  University, Chico  |          *       O O       *              (I Love 'Em)
                     |         Let's turn and burn!!
	   "You know, MacGyver, that's why you're so hard to beat.
	   Nobody knows what you're doing next, including YOU"- Murdoc
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you.
This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." -- Mark Twain

jenst@dxcsjr.cern.ch (Jens Trier Rasmussen) (07/16/90)

shire@csuchico.edu (Charles W Hooks) writes:

>whole new alias(or redo) and with 30-50 logins that can be a REAL pain.  I
>would love to see a change in elm to support the modification of aliases.

Try to edit the alias text file in ~/.elm/aliases.text and run newalias
afterwards.

cheers

	Jens Trier Rasmussen
	CERN-CN/CS