[comp.mail.elm] local adress problem

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (07/10/90)

According to iacovou@cs.umn.edu (Danny Iacovou):
>we are using elm 2.3 pl3.  when we reply to mail that came from a
>local user for some reason we get the entire adress of the user
>meaning username@host.domain.

This behavior is a feature.  I added it during Elm 2.3 development.
It prevents accidental alias expansion of local user names.

It's not pretty, but I can't think of a simple alternative.  If anyone
has a way to provide the same feature without adding "@host.domain" to
local addresses, speak up.

By the way, some will ask: "Who would have aliases the same as local
user names?"  The answer is: Some real users do so, including myself,
and on purpose even.  So don't bother suggesting that the feature be
removed -- we use it.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>

rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) (07/11/90)

:
>It's not pretty, but I can't think of a simple alternative.  If anyone
>has a way to provide the same feature without adding "@host.domain" to
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>local addresses, speak up.

On a marginally related topic (that has been brought up before), is
there a way to configure elm to add only "@domain" to the local user
name?  I know a lot of sites that prefer this.  If it can't be configured
in now, can someone (Syd?) think about adding in the future?

--
| Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
| rhoward@msd.gatech.edu       |    STL / MSD                           |

irv@happym.wa.com (Irving Wolfe) (07/12/90)

In <2699CB8F.A35@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

>This behavior is a feature. . . .  So don't bother suggesting that the
>feature be removed -- we use it.

Okay, if you use it and you are an expert, there are at least sometimes good
reasons to use it.  I really believe you.  But I'm _not_ an expert -- my
greatest expertise is in investing -- so even though I believe you, I don't
understand.

How about sharing these reasons with the rest of us who haven't yet figured
out why we should be doing this?

--
 Irving Wolfe    Happy Man Corp.   irv@happym.wa.com    206/463-9399 ext.101
 SOLID VALUE, the investment letter for Benj. Graham's intelligent investors

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (07/14/90)

According to rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard):
>Is there a way to configure elm to add only "@domain" to the local user
>name?

There's no configuration option for it.  You have to change the code
in returnadd.c, right under the notice written in large, friendly
letters: "KLUDGE ALERT - DANGER WILL ROBINSON".  (Really.)

The "KLUDGE ALERT" code references the variable "hostfullname"; use
"hostdomain + 1" instead.  You might want to check hostdomain[0]
first, to be sure you're in a domain.
--

According to irv@happym.wa.com (Irving Wolfe):
>How about sharing these reasons with the rest of us who haven't yet figured
>out why we should be doing this?

We have two machines here at TCT, named "tct" and "acdix".  I have
logins on both machines.  However, when users mail to "chip" on acdix,
I want the mail to go to my main mailbox, over on tct.  Therefore, I
have Elm aliases on acdix:

	chip = Chip Salzenberg = chip@tct.uucp

Now, if the mail originated from chip@acdix and was sent to
fred@acdix, the "From:" line might only say "From: chip".  However, I
don't want that name "chip" alias expanded; I want it to refer to the
REAL sender of the mail, namely, chip@acdix.  Thus the KLUDGE ALERT
code, which appends "@acdix.uucp" to the return address.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>

scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) (07/15/90)

rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) writes:

>On a marginally related topic (that has been brought up before), is
>there a way to configure elm to add only "@domain" to the local user
>name?  I know a lot of sites that prefer this.  If it can't be configured
>in now, can someone (Syd?) think about adding in the future?

This should be the responsibility of the transfer agent (sendmail,
smail, whatever you use locally), not the user agent.

Sm@bhpese.oz.au (Scott Merrilees) (07/16/90)

irv@happym.wa.com (Irving Wolfe) writes:
>How about sharing these reasons with the rest of us who haven't yet figured
>out why we should be doing this?

I use elm, and I like this feature.  This makes it much easier in a
networked situation to trace breakages, sources and destinations.
I have also configured my mail transfer agent (or MTA) aka sendmail, to
rewrite all addresses so the host name part of the address is always
present, and is a fully qualified domain name, thus making message routing
much simpler and surer.  Mail messages are hard enough to get to
work in the diverse network we are all connected to, so as much infomation
as possible should be provided to the MTAs to assist them, and their
maintainers.

Sm
--
Scott Merrilees, BHP Information Technology, Newcastle, Australia
Internet: Sm@bhpese.oz.au                    Phone: +61 49 402132

schafer@peyote.cactus.org (Raymond C. Schafer) (07/17/90)

I seem to be having a problem with replying or aliasing this message:
Would some of you please copy this article and edit it to make a mail
message to see if it's just the way I have elm configured, or if it's
really elm.  I had this same problem with elm2.3 pl 0 but it was only
present if I configured it to be portable.  The problem disappeared
when I had it configured to NOT be portable.  Now, however, the problem
persists no matter how I configure it.  And on two different machis
at that!   This only happens when the login and machine name happen
to be the same.  ELM thinks it is a local address and tries to send
mail to cesa@micrtk.cactus.org.   Thanks in advance for any insight
anyone has to offer.

	From uucp Fri Jul 13 15:40 CDT 1990
	Subject: Re: The report writer and Associated dictionaries