[comp.mail.elm] Elm and X ??

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) (08/07/90)

I was trying to run Elm 2.3pl5 on X11R4 on
a Sun 3/60 running SunOS 4.0, and I got the
following error:

window: Base frame not passed parent window in environment
Cannot create base frame.  Process aborted.

any ideas?

-greg

scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) (08/07/90)

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) writes:

>I was trying to run Elm 2.3pl5 on X11R4 on
>a Sun 3/60 running SunOS 4.0, and I got the
>following error:

>window: Base frame not passed parent window in environment
>Cannot create base frame.  Process aborted.

This is an error report from your windowing system, not elm.  I've
not see this specific one (currently using Elm on X11R4, SunOS 4.1
on a 3/50) but in call cases it's been when I try to invoke a
windowing program on some system other than what you're connected to.

anselmo-ed@cs.yale.edu (Ed Anselmo) (08/08/90)

> window: Base frame not passed parent window in environment
> Cannot create base frame.  Process aborted.

This is the error message you see when you try to run a SunView
program under X.  Do you have elm aliased to something like

	shelltool elm

Workarounds:  bring up the XView version of shelltool/commandtool.
	      Use xterm instead of shelltool.
--
Ed Anselmo   anselmo-ed@cs.yale.edu   {harvard,cmcl2}!yale!anselmo-ed