[comp.mail.elm] Elm should auto-newalias

indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (08/12/90)

Users most often forget to run newalias after manually editing the
.elm/aliases.text file. I have had several users question the aliasing
ability of elm and I find they did not run newalias.

I should think it would be a simple enhance elm to have it verify that
aliases.text is not newer than the hash table. And either just run newalias
or put out warning indicating the .elm/aliases.text is new and that the
user should run newalias.

Comments?

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com (Indra Singhal) (408) 749-5445

lauther@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Ulrich Lauther) (08/13/90)

In article <1990Aug12.054343.26902@amd.com> indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:

>Users most often forget to run newalias after manually editing the
>.elm/aliases.text file. I have had several users question the aliasing
>ability of elm and I find they did not run newalias.

A simle solution would be to prvide a small shell-scipt to your users, that
invoces your (or their) favourite editor *and* does the running of
newalias, something like this:

:
vi $HOME/.elm/aliases.text
$HOME/elm2.3/bin/newalias

Ulrich Lauther               Internet: lauther@janus.berkeley.edu
Siemens / UCB                ph: +1 415 642 3338 fax: 642 2739
				 +1 415 658 8529 home