[comp.mail.elm] There is NO reason to reply via the Path: header

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (08/11/90)

In news.software.b, article <24@aupair.cs.athabascau.ca>,
  lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
<
< If you're capable of obtaining and installing [bc]news, you're capable
< of installing one of the many versions of smail. Do it.
<
It would help if all the packages like rn, elm, whatever, would (in their
configuration questions) default to the assumption that there is an underlying
RFC822-compatible MTA, and if the documentation would stress the fact that
installing one of these is a better idea than depending on the old stuff.

Case in point: the new trn, whose installation script still defaults to NO for
the INTERNET option.

Changing these defaults would make installation at those sites a bit more
difficult, therefore giving people an incentive to inquire how to improve the
situation (as opposed to using Path: for replies, the mail user agent for
routing, and depending on everyone else to fix their addresses...)

Comments?
--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(Voice)/621227(PEP)

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (08/13/90)

In article <1kt!e2.851@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>Case in point: the new trn, whose installation script still defaults to NO for
>the INTERNET option.

>Comments?

Absolutely right.  The default these days should be #define INTERNET.  Let
the dumb-mailer minority make the configuration change.  Or if we want to
be really super nice, let the configuration script check for the existence
of only dumb UUCP mailers, then complain loudly to the user and undef
INTERNET too.
--
"I feel like I know her, but sometimes        /\/\    Tom Neff
my arms bend back." -- Laura's dream cousin  / /  \   tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM